GENUKI Home page Denbighshire county page Denbighshire Contents Contents



"A parish in the Union of Ruthin, partly in the hundred of Isaled, but chiefly in that of Ruthin, county of Denbigh; 3 miles (NNW) from Ruthin, containing 784 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the river Clwyd, and is intersected by the turnpike road leading from Ruthin to Denbigh, extends nearly eight miles in length, and one mile and a half in mean breadth. ..... The surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified, and the views from the higher grounds, extending over the adjacent country, embrace some interesting features."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

The ancient parish of Llanynys consisted of the townships of Bachymbyd ( or Machymbyd), Bontuchel, Bryncaredig, Ffiddoedd, Maesmaencymro, Rhydonnen, Trefechan, Trefor ( or Cefn Trefor), Treganol ( or Fachlwyd), Tre'r Parc, and Ysgeibion ( or Esgeibion).
It was the mother parish of Cyffylliog until 26 January 1874, when the townships of Bontuchel, Trefor, Treganol, Ffiddoedd and Tre'r Parc were transferred from Llanynys to the new parish of Cyffylliog. However, to all intents and purposes, Cyffylliog had already functioned as a separate parish for many years.



Church History

Ordnance Survey reference SJ 103627.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Saeran, was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254; although there is believed to have been a church on the site since the fifth century.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

St Saeran - on CPAT

St Saeran - on medieval-wales

Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist place of worship in the Civilparish of "Llanynys Rural" :

Name of Chapel Denomination Number of "adherents"
Rhewl Calvinistic Methodists 180
Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers

Baptisms Marriages Burials
1626 - 1891 1626 - 1971 1626 - 1903
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1626 - 1812 1626 - 1812 1626 - 1812

Bishop's Transcripts

Deposited at the National Library of Wales Microfilmed copies
1686 - 1866 1813 - 1866


Baptisms Marriages
1813 - 1867 1813 - 1837
Return to top of page

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanynys was assigned to the No. 5 ("Llanrhaeadr") sub-district of the Ruthin Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Ruthin poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanynys are in the format :

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Return to top of page


View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

Return to top of page


Return to top of page


Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated  9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.