We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"A parish in the Union of Conway, forming a detached portion of the hundred of Creuddyn, county of Carnarvon, and locally within the shire of Denbigh; 4 miles (W) from Abergele, containing 679 inhabitants. This parish, which is extremely mountainous, comprises 1772 acres. ..... A considerable quantity of limestone is quarried from the rocks here, and shipped at Llandulas Bay for Liverpool. The village consists of five houses only."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

The ancient parish comprised the townships of Isallt, Isyffordd, Pant ( or Tre'r Pant), Penmaen and Rhwngyddwyffordd.
Historically, until 1 April 1923, it was a completely detached portion of the commote of Creuddyn (Caernarfonshire).
In 1872, part of the parish was lost to Colwyn; but, at the same time, it gained part of the township of Twynnan, from the parish of Llanelian yn Rhos.


  • Davies,  Joan M.     Llysfaen - our village     Part 1,  The schools.         [Llanddulas] : [Joan M. Davies], [1993]
  • Davies,  Joan M.     Llysfaen - our village .   Part 2,  Employment through the ages.         [Llanddulas] : [Joan M. Davies], [1993]
  • Davies,  Joan M.     Llysfaen - our village     Part 3,  The church and the chapels.          [Llanddulas] : [Joan M. Davies], 1993.
  • Davies,  Joan M.     Llysfaen - our village      Part 4,  Entertainment and leisure.         [Llanddulas] : [Joan M. Davies], 1994.
  • Davies,  Joan M.     Llysfaen - our village .    Part 5, The development from the beginning.         [Llanddulas] : [Joan M. Davies], [1994]
  • Davies,  Joan M.      Llysfaen - our village         [Llanddulas : Joan M. Davies], 1995
  • Ellis, Bryn.    A brief history of Llanddulas and Llysfaen quarries  Part 1.       Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review 17 (1998), p. 3-10
  • Jones, Francis  Abergele.          Dechreuad a chynydd y Methodistiaid Calfinaidd yn Abergele, Pensarn, Bettws, Llysfaen, Llanddulas, Penbryn-Llwyni, Morfa a Thywyn   Dolgellau : Argraffwyd gan E. W. Evans, 1908.
  • Williams, Idris.     Tabor Llysfaen      [Llysfaen] : [Eglwys Tabor], 1986.


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Llysfaen area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Ordnance Survey reference SH 893775.
Tradition states that the church was founded by St. Cynfran in AD 777. It was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. There have been several churches on the same site - the present building is believed to date from about 1377, incorporating stones from the original building. It was extensively restored in 1870.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

St Cynfran - on CPAT

Nonconformist Churches Nonconformist places of worship for Llysfaen were included in the "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"under the Civilparish of Colwyn Bay. Details will be found on the parish page for Colwyn Bay.

Church Records

Parish Registers

  • The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
    They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
    These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
    The Baptism and Burial Registers covering the period 1761 - 1809 were recorded as being in Llysfaen Church in 1831; but they now appear to be lost.
    Fortunately, the Bishop's Transcripts for most of that period have survived, and have been deposited in the National Library of Wales.
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1661 - 1760
1809 - 1857
1663 - 1753
1755 - 1938
1661 - 1760
1809 - 1931
  • Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1661 - 1812 1662 - 1812 1661 - 1812

Bishop's Transcripts

  • Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
    Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
    The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
    In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
Deposited at the National Library of Wales Microfilmed copies
1662 - 1844 1662 - 1844


  • There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Cynfran's, Llysfaen.

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llysfaen was assigned to the No. 2 ("Creuddyn") sub-district of the Conwy Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Conwy poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llysfaen are in the format :

  • Years 1837 - 1851: Conway XXVII. nnn
  • Years 1851 - 1930: Conway 11b. nnn

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llysfaen which are provided by:

Llysfaen - on wikipedia

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llysfaen has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH888770 (Lat/Lon: 53.278270, -3.669233), Llysfaen which are provided by:
View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county


  • In 1831- the population was 585.
  • In 1901- the population was 1489.
    [ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]


  • Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 1879 acres.
    [ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]