GENUKI Home page Denbighshire county page Denbighshire Contents Contents



"A parish in the Union of Conway, forming a detached portion of the hundred of Creuddyn, county of Carnarvon, and locally within the shire of Denbigh; 4 miles (W) from Abergele, containing 679 inhabitants. This parish, which is extremely mountainous, comprises 1772 acres. ..... A considerable quantity of limestone is quarried from the rocks here, and shipped at Llandulas Bay for Liverpool. The village consists of five houses only."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

The ancient parish comprised the townships of Isallt, Isyffordd, Pant ( or Tre'r Pant), Penmaen and Rhwngyddwyffordd.
Historically, until 1 April 1923, it was a completely detached portion of the commote of Creuddyn (Caernarfonshire).
In 1872, part of the parish was lost to Colwyn; but, at the same time, it gained part of the township of Twynnan, from the parish of Llanelian yn Rhos.



Church History

Ordnance Survey reference SH 893775.
Tradition states that the church was founded by St. Cynfran in AD 777. It was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. There have been several churches on the same site - the present building is believed to date from about 1377, incorporating stones from the original building. It was extensively restored in 1870.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

St Cynfran - on CPAT

Nonconformist Churches Nonconformist places of worship for Llysfaen were included in the "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"under the Civilparish of Colwyn Bay. Details will be found on the parish page for Colwyn Bay.

Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers

Baptisms Marriages Burials
1661 - 1760
1809 - 1857
1663 - 1753
1755 - 1938
1661 - 1760
1809 - 1931
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1661 - 1812 1662 - 1812 1661 - 1812

Bishop's Transcripts

Deposited at the National Library of Wales Microfilmed copies
1662 - 1844 1662 - 1844


Return to top of page

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llysfaen was assigned to the No. 2 ("Creuddyn") sub-district of the Conwy Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Conwy poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llysfaen are in the format :

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Llysfaen - on wikipedia

Llysfaen - on


View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

Return to top of page


Return to top of page


Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated  9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.