We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
- Jones, Gareth. The Griffiths or Williams at Penycae Cronicl Powys, No. 80 (August 2010), p. 34-36.
- Jones, Gareth. Griffiths or Williams at Penycae? Cylchgrawn hanes teuluoedd Dyfed, Vol. 10, no. 6 (August 2010), p. 28-31
- Jones, John Owen. Hen arweinyddion y canu yn Salem, Penycae Colwyn Bay : Argraffwyd yn Sefydliad Affricanaidd, 1911.
- Pratt, Derrick. Plas Du, Penycae Clwyd Historian = Hanes Bro Clwyd. No. 25 (October 1990), p. 19-22
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 276453.
The new church, dedicated to St. Thomas, was consecrated on 6 December 1878.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
St Thomas, Penycae
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Penycae :
|Name of Chapel ||Denomination ||Number of "adherents" |
|Salem ||Baptists ||361 |
|Sion, Groes ||Baptists (English language) ||88 |
|Groes ||Calvinistic Methodists ||165 |
|Tai Nant ||Calvinistic Methodists ||112 |
|Soar, Stryt Issa ||Wesleyans ||200 |
|Copperas ||Primitive Methodists (English language) ||100 |
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, at the A.N. Palmer Library, Wrexham, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|Baptisms ||Marriages ||Burials |
|1880 - 1919 ||1880 - 1971 ||1881 - 1952 |
- There are no Bishop's Transcripts for St. Thomas, Penycae.
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Thomas, Penycae.
The new parish of Penycae was assigned to the Wrexham Registration District
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Penycae are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Wrexham XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Wrexham 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
You can see pictures of Penycae which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Penycae has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ280453 (Lat/Lon: 53.000144, -3.074328), Penycae which are provided by:
- In 1831- this was not a separate parish.
- In 1901- the population was 3046.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]