GENUKI Home page Denbighshire county page Denbighshire Contents Contents



The new parish of Penycae was formed by an Order in Council on 28 October 1879, from portions of the parishes of Ruabon, Rhosllanerchrugog, and Rhosymedre.

For a map link to Penycae village - see Maps under Ruabon


Church History

Ordnance Survey reference SJ 276453.
The new church, dedicated to St. Thomas, was consecrated on 6 December 1878.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

St Thomas, Penycae

Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Penycae :

Name of Chapel Denomination Number of "adherents"
Salem Baptists 361
Sion, Groes Baptists (English language) 88
Groes Calvinistic Methodists 165
Tai Nant Calvinistic Methodists 112
Soar, Stryt Issa Wesleyans 200
Copperas Primitive Methodists (English language) 100
Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers

Baptisms Marriages Burials
1880 - 1919 1880 - 1971 1881 - 1952

Bishop's Transcripts


Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The new parish of Penycae was assigned to the Wrexham Registration District.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Penycae are in the format :

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Penycae - on wikipedia

Penycae photographs - on


Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated  9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.