The new parish of Penycae was formed by an Order in Council on 28 October 1879, from portions of the parishes of Ruabon, Rhosllanerchrugog, and Rhosymedre.
For a map link to Penycae village - see Maps under Ruabon
- Jones, Gareth. The Griffiths or Williams at Penycae
Cronicl Powys, No. 80 (August 2010), p. 34-36.
- Jones, Gareth. Griffiths or Williams at Penycae?
Cylchgrawn hanes teuluoedd Dyfed, Vol. 10, no. 6 (August 2010), p. 28-31
- Jones, John Owen.
Hen arweinyddion y canu yn Salem, Penycae Colwyn Bay : Argraffwyd yn Sefydliad Affricanaidd, 1911.
- Pratt, Derrick. Plas Du, Penycae
Clwyd Historian = Hanes Bro Clwyd. No. 25 (October 1990), p. 19-22
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 276453.
The new church, dedicated to St. Thomas, was consecrated on 6 December 1878.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
St Thomas, Penycae
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the
Civilparish of Penycae :
|Name of Chapel
||Number of "adherents"
||Baptists (English language)
|Soar, Stryt Issa
||Primitive Methodists (English language)
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, at the A.N. Palmer Library, Wrexham, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are
not available elsewhere.
|1880 - 1919
||1880 - 1971
||1881 - 1952
- There are no Bishop's Transcripts for St. Thomas, Penycae.
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Thomas, Penycae.
The new parish of Penycae was assigned to the Wrexham Registration District.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Penycae are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Wrexham XXVII.
- Years 1851 - 1930: Wrexham 11b.
(GRO index references have no relevance at the
local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Penycae - on wikipedia
Penycae photographs - on geograph.org.uk
- In 1831- this was not a separate parish.
- In 1901- the population was 3046.
Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last Updated 9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks