The new parish of Rhosymedre was formed by an Order in Council on 24 May 1844, from the township of Coed Cristionydd and part of the township of Cristionydd Cynrig, which until then had been in the parish of Ruabon.
On 28 October 1879, a portion of the parish of Rhosymedre was transferred to the new parish of Penycae.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
A district church (or chapel of ease) to Rhosymedre was opened at Acrefair in 1894.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Cefn Mawr :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Cefn Mawr Mission||Baptists (English language)||150|
|Ebenezer||Baptists (English language)||250|
|Bethel (Acrefair)||Calvinistic Methodists||300|
|Trinity (Acrefair)||Calvinistic Methodists (English language)||356|
|Not named||Congregationalists (English language)||360|
|Acrefair||Wesleyans (English language)||110|
|Cefn Bychan||Wesleyans (English language)||200|
|Not named||United Methodist Free Church (English language)||60|
|Rhosymedre||Primitive Methodists (English language)||300|
|1837 - 1992||1844 - 1988||1839 - 1974|
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Rhosymedre are in the format :
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Rhosymedre - on wikipedia
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Last Updated 9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date