"A parish in the Union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh; 5 miles (SW by S) from Wrexham; containing, in 1841, 11292 inhabitants. ..... The parish is situated in a picturesque part of the county, within three miles of the great Holyhead road, and is bounded on the south by the river Dee. The village ..... seems to have been indebted for its original prosperity to the noble mansion of Wynnstay, in the immediate vicinity, and to owe its present importance chiefly to the mines of ironstone and coal which abound, especially in the southern and western parts of the parish. ..... The parish comprises an important part of the Denbighshire coal tract, of which the principal seam is here nine feet thick; and its mineral wealth in coal and iron ore, particularly in the southern and western parts of it, has caused the establishment of numerous works. The whole give employment to from 1400 to 1500 men and boys. ..... Offa's Dyke and Wat's Dyke both intersect the parish, and in their courses approach within a quarter of a mile of each other, near the village, but diverge as they are traced either northward or southward, so as shortly to leave an interval of several miles."[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish of Ruabon comprised the townships of Belan, Bodylltyn, Cristionydd Cynrig (
or Y Dref Fawr), Coed Cristionydd, Cristionydd Fechan (
or Y Dref Fechan,
or Dynhinlle Uchaf), Dinhinlle Isaf, Hafod (
or Hafod y Gallor), Moreton Anglicorum (
or Moreton Above), Moreton Wallichorum (
or Moreton Below)
(where Above and Below refer to Offa's Dyke), Rhuddallt, and Tref Robert Llwyd.
On 24 May 1844, Coed Cristionydd and part of Cristionydd Cynrig went to the new parish of Rhosymedre.
On 3 September 1844, Cristionydd Fechan went to the new parish of Rhosllanerchrugog.
On 28 October 1879, Moreton Above and the remainder of Cristionydd Cynrig went to the new parish of Penycae.
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Ruabon St Mary's ChurchOrdnance Survey reference SJ 303437.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
St Mary's Church site
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Ruabon :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Presbyterian||Calvinistic Methodists (English language)||120|
|Not named||Congregationalists (English language)||154|
|Not named||Wesleyans (English language)||130|
|Not named||Primitive Methodists (English language)||270|
|1559 - 1945||1599 - 1964||1559 - 1963|
|1559 - 1853||1599 - 1843||1599 - 1847|
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1663 - 1867||1663 - 1861|
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Ruabon are in the format :
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Welcome to Ruabon site
Ruabon - on wikipedia
Ruabon photographs - on geograph.org.uk
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Last Updated 2 June 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date