Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
St George or Llan Sian Sior
"A parish, comprising the divisions of St.George and Meifod, in the hundred of Isdulas, county of Denbigh; 2 miles (SE) from Abergele, on the road to Holyhead, and containing 376 inhabitants. ..... The parish is bounded on the north by the Irish channel, and about three miles from the village is the port of Rhuddlan."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The parish is also known as Kegidog, or Cegidog.
The name, St. George, is generally believed to have been derived from Saint Siôr - not to be confused with St. George of England.
The ancient parish comprised the townships of Cegidog Uchaf, Cegidog Isaf, Dinorben, and Meifod.
In 1873, part of the township of Cegidog Isaf went to the new parish of Towyn.
Ordnance Survey reference SH 974758.
There has been a church at St. George for many centuries - the church was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. The present church was built in 1893, a little distance to the south east of the former building. It was consecrated on 19 December 1893.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist place of worship in the Civilparish of St. George :
|Name of Chapel ||Denomination ||Number of "adherents" |
|Moelfre ||Wesleyans ||69 |
Parish Registers The registers date from 1694; however, some authorities believe that older registers, dating back to the fourteenth century, were destroyed in a fire at St. Asaph cathedral.
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|Baptisms ||Marriages ||Burials |
|1694 - 1941 ||1696 - 1971 ||1694 - 1927 |
Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|Baptisms ||Marriages ||Burials |
|1694 - 1812 ||1695 - 1812 ||1694 - 1812 |
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales ||Microfilmed copies |
|1663 - 1846 ||1663 - 1846 |
- The following have been incorporated into the I.G.I., as part of an "official extraction" programme.
They were extracted from the Bishop's Transcripts, not from the Parish Registers.
|Baptisms ||Marriages |
|1681 - 1750 |
1820 - 1846
|1820 - 1837 |
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of St. George was assigned to the No. 2 ("Abergele") sub-district of the St. Asaph Registration District
, which was co-extensive with the St. Asaph poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for St. George are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: St. Asaph XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: St. Asaph 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of St George or Llan Sian Sior which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which St George or Llan Sian Sior has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps covering the area of this parish
and places within its boundaries
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH974757 (Lat/Lon: 53.268323, -3.539885), St George or Llan Sian Sior which are provided by:
- In 1831- the population was 376.
- In 1901- the population was 258.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
- Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 2286 acres.
[ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]