GENUKI Home page Denbighshire county page Denbighshire Contents Contents


St. George / Llan Sian Sir

"A parish, comprising the divisions of St.George and Meifod, in the hundred of Isdulas, county of Denbigh; 2 miles (SE) from Abergele, on the road to Holyhead, and containing 376 inhabitants. ..... The parish is bounded on the north by the Irish channel, and about three miles from the village is the port of Rhuddlan."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

The parish is also known as Kegidog, or Cegidog.
The name, St. George, is generally believed to have been derived from Saint Sir - not to be confused with St. George of England.
The ancient parish comprised the townships of Cegidog Uchaf, Cegidog Isaf, Dinorben, and Meifod.
In 1873, part of the township of Cegidog Isaf went to the new parish of Towyn.


Church History

Ordnance Survey reference SH 974758.
There has been a church at St. George for many centuries - the church was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. The present church was built in 1893, a little distance to the south east of the former building. It was consecrated on 19 December 1893.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist place of worship in the Civilparish of St. George :

Name of Chapel Denomination Number of "adherents"
Moelfre Wesleyans 69
Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers The registers date from 1694; however, some authorities believe that older registers, dating back to the fourteenth century, were destroyed in a fire at St. Asaph cathedral.

Baptisms Marriages Burials
1694 - 1941 1696 - 1971 1694 - 1927
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1694 - 1812 1695 - 1812 1694 - 1812

Bishop's Transcripts

Deposited at the National Library of Wales Microfilmed copies
1663 - 1846 1663 - 1846


Baptisms Marriages
1681 - 1750
1820 - 1846
1820 - 1837
Return to top of page

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of St. George was assigned to the No. 2 ("Abergele") sub-district of the St. Asaph Registration District, which was co-extensive with the St. Asaph poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for St. George are in the format :

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

St George - on Vision of Britain


View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

Return to top of page


Return to top of page


Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated  9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.