Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
The new parish of Trofarth was formed by an Order in Council on 20 November 1873. It comprised the township of Trofarth, and part of the township of Cilcen (which until then had been in the parish of Betws yn Rhos; part of the township of Deunant (in the parish of Llansanffraid Glan Conwy); and part of the township of Marchaled (in the parish of Llangernyw).
Ordnance Survey reference SH 857718.
The church, which is dedicated to St. John, was consecrated on 19 June 1873.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
St John's Church - on wikipedia
Nonconformist Churches Nonconformist places of worship for Trofarth may have been included in the "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"under the Civilparish of Betws yn Rhos. Details will be found on the parish page for Betws yn Rhos.
- The Trofarth Baptism and Burial registers from 1873 to 1991, and the Marriage registers from 1963 to 1991, were stolen in 1991; and have never been recovered.
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
||1874 - 1963
- No Bishop's Transcripts have been deposited for St. John's, Trofarth.
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. John's, Trofarth.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Trofarth which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH857717 (Lat/Lon: 53.229990, -3.713800), Trofarth which are provided by:
- In 1831- this was not a separate parish.
- In 1901- the population was 296.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
- Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 4500 acres.
[ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]