GENUKI Home page Denbighshire county page Denbighshire Contents Contents

 

Wrexham / Wrecsam

"A market town, a parliamentary borough, the head of a Union, and a parish, chiefly in the hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh; 26 miles (SE by E) from Denbigh, 18 (ESE) from Ruthin, and 187 (NW) from London; ..... and containing 12,921 inhabitants, of whom 5818 are in the townships of Wrexham Abbot and Wrexham Regis, forming the town."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1849, Samuel Lewis]

The ancient parish of Wrexham comprised the townships of Abenbury Fawr, Abenbury Fechan, Acton, Bersham, Bieston, Broughton, Brymbo, Borras Hwfa, Esclusham Above, Esclusham Below, Gourton, Minera, Stansty, Wrexham Abbot and Wrexham Regis.
The townships of Erddig and Erlas, which were surrounded by other Wrexham townships, were in fact detached parts of the parish of Gresford.

On 23 May 1844, by an Order in Council (gazetted on 6 December 1844) the townships of Minera and Esclusham Above went to the new parish of Minera.
On 6 December 1844, by an Order in Council, the township of Brymbo and part of the township of Broughton went to the new parish of Brymbo.
In 1851, the township of Borras Hwfa was transferred to Gresford; and the townships of Erddig and Erlas were transferred from Gresford to Wrexham.
In November 1851, part of the township of Stansty went to the new parish of Gwersyllt.
In 1865, by an Order in Council, that part of the township of Bersham which lay west of Offa's Dyke was added to the parish of Minera.
In 1879, by an Order in Council, the townships of Erddig, Esclusham Below, and a portion of Esclusham Above went to the new parish of Esclusham.
In 1886, by an Order in Council, the townships of Acton, Bieston and Gourton went to the new parish of Rhosddu.
On 15 February 1909, by an Order in Council, part of the township of Broughton went to the new parish of Broughton.
On 7 May 1921, parts of the townships of Bersham and Stansty went to the new parish of Southsea.
In 1934, further parts of the same townships went to the new parish of Bersham.

Archives

Wrexham Archives and Local Studies Service

Bibliography

Church History

 

Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civiladministrative district of Wrexham Regis :

Name of Chapel Denomination Number of "adherents"
Bradley Road Baptists (English language) 100
Chester Street Baptists (English language) 180
Penybryn Baptists 200
Rhosddu Baptists 58
Bersham Road Calvinistic Methodists (English language) 320
Hill Street Calvinistic Methodists (English language) 300
Smithfield Road Calvinistic Methodists (English language) 150
Victoria Hall Calvinistic Methodists (English language) 420
(plus 68 at Pentrefelin)
Zion Calvinistic Methodists 500
Chester Street Congregationalists (English language) 235
Pen y Bryn, Salusbury Park Congregationalists (English language) 400
Queen Street Congregationalists 350
Lord Street FC (sic) (English language) 100
Brynyffynnon Wesleyans (English language) 375
Hampden Road Wesleyans 95
Hightown Mission Wesleyans (English language) 221
Jerusalem, Egerton Street Wesleyans 258
Talbot Road Primitive Methodists (English language) 130
King Street Mission House Christians (English) 70
Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers

  Baptisms Marriages Burials
All Churches 1618 - 1988 1632 - 1989 1620 - 1977
St. John's 1977 - 1985 1975 - 1985  
St. Mark's 1870 - 1930    
St. Michael's
(Renamed as All Saints in 1986)
  1979 - 1986
1986 - 1992
 
St. Peter's 1973 - 1985 1979 only  
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1618 - 1812 1632 - 1813 1620 - 1812

Bishop's Transcripts

Deposited at the National Library of Wales Microfilmed copies
1662 - 1858 1711 - 1823

I.G.I.

Return to top of page

Nonconformist Records

Name of Chapel Denomination Type of Record Years Covered
Abbot Street Calvinistic Methodist Births and Baptisms 1811 - 1837
Old Meeting House,
Chester Street
Independent / Baptist Births and Baptisms 1779 - 1837
Pentrefelin Independent Births and Baptisms 1832 - 1837
Pen y Bryn Independent Baptisms 1784 - 1837
Wern Independent Births and Baptisms 1808 - 1837
Brynffynnon Wesleyan Births and Baptisms 1818 - 1837
Salop Road Wesleyan Baptisms 1813 - 1837
Name of Chapel Denomination Type of Record Years Covered Held at
Rhosddu Cemetery,
Chester Street
Baptist Burials 1864 - 1904 DRO
Abbot Street Calvinistic Methodist Baptisms 1811 - 1888  
Seion, Regent Street Calvinistic Methodist Baptisms 1707 - 1718 NLW
Seion, Regent Street Calvinistic Methodist Baptisms 1811 - 1960  
Seion, Regent Street Calvinistic Methodist Burials 1715 - 1718 NLW
Victoria Hall Calvinistic Methodist Births and Baptisms 1958 - 1981  
Ebeneser, Queen Street Congregational Marriages 1982 - 1984 DRO
Poyser Street Methodist Baptisms 1965 - 1966 DRO
Poyser Street Methodist Marriages 1912 - 1972 DRO
"Circuit" Primitive Methodist Baptisms 1843 - 1884 DRO
"Circuit" Wesleyan Baptisms 1855 - 1896 DRO
Brynffynnon Wesleyan Marriages 1863 - 1889
1899 - 1970
DRO
Return to top of page

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Wrexham was assigned to the No. 4 ("Wrexham") sub-district of the Wrexham Registration District; which, initially, was co-extensive with the Wrexham poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Wrexham are in the format :

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Wrexham County Borough Council

Wrexham - on wikipedia

Welcome to Wrexham

Wrexham.com - "Independent local news, reviews, information and forums"

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

Return to top of page

Population

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated  9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI