Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Denbighshire - Towns and Parishes
Select a letter below to go directly to parishes starting with that letter:
The list below reflects the Church in Wales (Anglican) structure in historic (pre-1974) Denbighshire - this is the format which is recognised by the Denbighshire Record Office and the National Library of Wales; and by the two reference works "Parish Registers of Wales" and "Parish Registers of Clwyd". In general, "daughter" or "district" churches have not been included in the list unless it is known that they maintained separate registers from those of the parish church. Where applicable, details of the nineteenth century and early twentieth century restructuring of each parish have been given.
Historically, the (Anglican) Church in Wales was an integral part of the Church of England - i.e. the "Established" Church. During the nineteenth century, the number of Anglican churches in the diocese of St. Asaph (which includes Denbighshire) rose from 151 to 326. Many new churches were built, and even more were "restored" - which was often a euphemism for partial or total demolition, followed by rebuilding. Some of the new churches remained as district churches or chapelries within their existing parish; but in the majority of cases, the ancient parishes were drastically restructured to create new parishes centred around the new churches.
In general, this reorganisation had more or less run its course in Denbighshire by the end of the nineteenth century; although in the industrialised areas around Wrexham it continued into the twentieth century.
Despite this wave of new church-building, the influence of the Anglican Church continued to decline; and in 1920 it officially ceased to be the "State" or "Established" Church within Wales. By that time, at least half of the people of Denbighshire had become "adherents" of the various nonconformist denominations; and it is therefore important to note that information about the nonconformist half of the population is not likely to be found in the Anglican parish registers.
Information about nonconformist chapels has been extracted from "The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for the year ending December 31st, 1905", which was submitted to the Welsh Church Commission. As far as possible, the information has been shown on the parish page(s) appropriate to the locations of the chapels.
Unfortunately, only a relatively small number of nonconformist records have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office and the National Library of Wales - it is hoped to include a list of these records, with permission, at a later date.