Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"Bagillt is a bustling place, and will continue so, as long as her smelting and coal works go on in their present prosperous state. Well conducted boats go from this place to Chester every day; with a favorable wind, these little barks make the 17 or 18 miles in little more than two hours."
[J. Poole, Gleanings of the histories of Holywell, Flint, St. Asaph and Rhuddlan, 1831.]
The new parish of Bagillt was gazetted on 23 May 1844, having been created from the townships of Bagillt Fawr, Bagillt Fechan, Coleshill Fawr and Coleshill Fechan, which were formerly in the parish of Holywell.
- Bagillt : Bagillt : Bagillt History Society, 2001.
- Bagillt, a wealth of heritage : Bagillt Heritage Society Millennium Project. Bagillt : Bagillt Heritage Society, 2000.
- Bagillt through the ages / Bagillt History Club. 2nd ed. Chorley, Lancs. : Countryside Publications, 1985.
- Blythin, H. and J. Phillips. An easy historical walk in the Bagillt area Proceedings of the Dyserth and district field club, (2002), p. 56-58.
- Jones, Arthur. Hanes dechreuad a chynydd y Methodistiaid yn Bagillt, Sir Fflint Flint : J.E. Gunning, Borough Printing Works, 1907.
- Meese, C E. The late George Tattum, Bagillt, 1870-1941 Clwyd Historian = Hanes Bro Clwyd. No. 18 (April 1987), p. 27-9
- Meese, Ceridwen Eluned. 1920's reflections of Bagillt Ruthin : Clwyd Voluntary Services Council, 
- Meese, Ceridwen Eluned. Further reflections of Bagillt Ruthin : Clwyd Voluntary Services Council, 1986 & 1990
- Meese, Ceridwen Eluned. 19th century master mariners of Bagillt Bagillt : Bagillt History Club, 1993.
- Meese, Ceridwen Eluned. Bagillt nicknames and sketches Bagillt : Bagillt History Club, 1987.
- Meese, Ceridwen Eluned. Bagillt Salvation Army 1889 to 1943 Bagillt : Bagillt History Club, [1988?]
- Meese, Ceridwen Eluned. Flintshire Chair & Crown Eisteddfod held in Bagillt 1889 [Bagillt] : Bagillt History Club, [1989?]
- Meese, Ceridwen Eluned. The Foresters' Hall, Bagillt [Bagillt] : Clwb Hanes Bagillt History Club, 1991.
- Meese, Ceridwen Eluned. More about Bagillt [Bagillt] : [Bagillt History Club], 
- Sheen, Colin. Bagillt through the ages. 2 Bagillt : Bagillt History Club, 2004.
- The life and times of Ceridwen Eluned Meese, Bagillt. Ruthin : Denbighshire Voluntary Services Council, 1997.
- Thomas, J., J. Smith and J. Phillips.Panton's Cop and Bagillt coast Proceedings of the Dyserth and district field club, 2009, p. 78-83.
- Walls, Shirley. The Cambrian Brewery Bagillt Clwyd Historian = Hanes Bro Clwyd. No. 44 (Spring 2000), p. 2-6
In addition to the churchyard at St. Mary's parish church, there is a public cemetery in New Brighton Road.
The cemetery, which was opened about 1870, is still in use, and is administered by Flintshire County Council. The opening time is 8.00 a.m. until sunset.
The cemetery records, from 1870 to date, are held at the Flintshire County offices in Flint.
Researchers who wish to see the cemetery records must make a prior appointment, by contacting :
- Bethel Baptist Chapel (Ebenezer), Baptist (Welsh)
- St Mary, High Street, Church in Wales
- St Peter, A5026, Church in Wales
- Tabernacle Chapel;Jehovah's Witnesses, High Street, Calvinistic Methodist
- Methodist Church;Church Hall, Grosvenors Row, Calvnistic Methodist
- Bethania Methodist Chapel, Wesleyan Methodist (Welsh)
- Ebenezer Methodist Chapel, Wesleyan Methodist (Welsh)
- Soar Chapel, Holywell Street, Wesleyan Methodist (Welsh)
- Salem Chapel, Smyrna Bagillt, Independent (Welsh)
- Catholic Church Of Our Lady Of Lourdes, Other
- English Congregational Chapel (United Reform), Other
- Salvation Army Hall, High Street, Salvation Army
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Bagillt area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 222751.
The church of St. Mary, Bagillt was built between the years 1837 and 1839, and was consecrated on 18 July 1839 as a "chapel of ease" within the parish of Holywell, serving the increasingly industrialised area of Bagillt, with its rapidly growing population.
It became the parish church of the new parish of Bagillt in 1844.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
St. Peter's Mission Room was erected in 1883.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Flint - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in Bagillt, within "Holywell Rural District". This was a Civiladministrative district.
|Name of Chapel
||Number of "adherents"
|Bethel - Welsh
|Not named - English
|Salem - Welsh
|Bethania - Welsh
|Ebenezer - Welsh
|Soar - Welsh
- The following nonconformist registers for the Bagillt area are held at the Public Record Office, Kew.
They may be viewed on microfilm at LDS Family History Centres; and at the Flintshire Record Office, the Denbighshire Record Office and the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
They have also been incorporated into the I.G.I., as part of an "official extraction" programme :
|Name of Chapel
||Type of Record
||I.G.I. Batch Number
||Births and Baptisms
||1827 - 1836
- The following nonconformist registers for the Bagillt area are held at the Flintshire Record Office, Hawarden.
They have not been filmed; and they have not been incorporated into the I.G.I. :
|Name of Chapel
||Type of Record
||United Reform Church
||Births and Baptisms
||1958 - 1966 (photocopies)
||1858 - 1976
The new parish of Bagillt was assigned to the No. 2 ("Holywell") sub-district of the Holywell Registration District, which was co-extensive with the Holywell poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Bagillt are found under:
- Years 1837 - 1851: Holywell XXVII. nnn
- Years 1852 - 1946: Holywell 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
You can see pictures of Bagillt which are provided by:
View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ222751 (Lat/Lon: 53.267153, -3.167977), Bagillt which are provided by:
- In 1831- Bagillt was not a separate parish.
- In 1901- the population was 2637.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
Archdeacon Thomas (1911) gives the area of the parish as 3191 acres.