Ordnance Survey reference SJ 461360.
Bettisfield was originally in the parish of Hanmer. The parish church was an inconvenient distance away, and therefore in 1851 the Vicar and schoolmaster began to conduct Sunday evening services in the village shop for the villagers of Bettisfield. These proved very popular, and a wooden chapel was built, opening on 12 October 1851. The chapel, dedicated to St. Chad, was extended in 1852, and licensed by the Bishop, who preached there on 13 October 1852.
The present Church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was erected at the expense of Lord Hanmer in 1874, and was consecrated by the Bishop of St. Asaph on 16 October 1878. The wooden chapel was demolished in 1875.
(N.B. The wooden 1851 Chapel at Bettisfield was in fact dismantled, not demolished, and components of it re-erected at St Mary Magdalene, Tallarn Green, in 1876 as a private room for visiting ministers. There is currently (in Dec 2011) a planning application before Wrexham County Council to demolish this 'shed'.) (M Woodhall)
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Bettisfield became a separate parish, within the Diocese of St. Asaph, on 24 January 1880.
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Flint - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist place of worship in the Civil parish of "Bettisfield":
|Name of Chapel
||Number of "adherents"