Ordnance Survey reference SJ 273640.
By the mid-nineteenth century, the population of the Bistre and Argoed districts of the parish of Mold was increasing rapidly; a new church was consecrated on 25 October 1842 by the Bishop of St. Asaph, to serve these areas, which were some distance from the parish church in Mold. The church is quite unusual in that it lies north and south, with the altar at the southern end.
"The parish of Mold contains a population of about 9,000, and the townships of Bistree and Argoed, within the said parish, for the benefit of which this new church has been erected, have a population of about 2,300; these townships lie from one to four miles from the parish church ..... A few years ago, like many other districts where extensive works have lately sprung up, they were thinly inhabited ....."
[From The Chester Chronicle of 4 November 1842]
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Bistre Parish Churches on the Church in Wales site
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Flint - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the "Urban District of Buckley". This was a Civiladministrative district, which included parts of the Ecclesiastical parish of Bistre :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Nantmawr - English||Baptist||100|
|Daisy Hill - English||Baptist||100|
|St. John - English||Congregational||550|
|Mold Road||Calvinistic Methodist||140|
|Bistre||Methodist New Connexion||400|
|Pentrobin||Methodist New Connexion||250|
|Not named||Salvation Army||100|
|Brunswick - English||Wesleyan||130|
|Mold Road - Welsh||Wesleyan||35|
|The Square - English||Wesleyan||150|