During the early Victorian period, it was seen that there was a need to provide a church for the population of the more remote areas of Halkyn mountain. The local landowners undertook to build a church at Pantasaph; but when the building was almost complete, the family converted to Roman Catholicism. Following a period of bitter dispute, and legal action, the Bishop of St. Asaph had to relinquish the claim of the Established Church to the new building.
A fund-raising appeal was launched, and within a very short time the sum of £10,806 (a considerable figure for that time) had been contributed - enough to build two new churches - St. Michael's, Brynford and St. Paul's, Gorsedd.
The new parish of Brynford was created in 1854, from the townships of Brynford (formerly in the parish of Holywell), and parts of Trellan Ucha and Prysau (formerly in the parish of Ysceifiog).