During the early Victorian period, it was seen that there was a need to provide a church for the population of the more remote areas of Halkyn mountain. The local landowners undertook to build a church at Pantasaph; but when the building was almost complete, the family converted to Roman Catholicism. Following a period of bitter dispute, and legal action, the Bishop of St. Asaph had to relinquish the claim of the Established Church to the new building.
A fund-raising appeal was launched, and within a very short time the sum of £10,806 (a considerable figure for that time) had been contributed - enough to build two new churches - St. Michael's, Brynford and St. Paul's, Gorsedd.
The new parish of Brynford was created in 1854, from the townships of Brynford (formerly in the parish of Holywell), and parts of Trellan Ucha and Prysau (formerly in the parish of Ysceifiog).
For a map link to this place - see under Maps on Holywell
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Brynford St Michael's ChurchOrdnance Survey reference SJ 178744.
"The church is distant from the town about a mile and a half, and is a neat and substantial edifice in the gothic style of architecture, and capable of holding about 300 persons; the Schools and master's residence adjoin, and appear to be fitted up with every regard to the comfort and advancement of the scholars."
[From The Chester Chronicle of 16 August 1853]
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Flint - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Brynford:
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Milwr - Welsh||Baptist||21|
|Pisgah - Welsh||Congregational||98|
|Calcot - Welsh||Wesleyan||88|
|-||1855 - 1965||1877 - 1917|
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Brynford are found under:
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Brynford and Calcoed Village site
Brynford - on wikipedia
Brynford photographs - on geograph.org.uk
Archdeacon Thomas (1911) gives the area of the parish as 1253 acres.
Last Updated 8 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date