"Buckley is in the County of Flint, North Wales. The neighbouring towns are Chester, 8 miles, Flint 6, Mold 3, and Hawarden 2. It is situated on an eminence about 500 feet above sea level. The River Dee flows 3½ miles below, and the mouth of the Dee and Irish Sea are in view to the North-west. As the breezes blow mainly from that point, its position is rendered very healthful and invigorating. Looking west and south there is a splendid view of the Clwydian range of mountains, Caergwrle castle, etc. The population is about 7000, and its industries are coal-mining, the manufacture of fire-clay bricks, tiles, etc., and pottery earthenware. A century ago it was but a straggling village of a score or so of mud and stone straw-thatched cottages, but coal was mined here 200 years since. ..... With one or two honourable exceptions, the district has never received the assistance it might have had from its absentee landlords and employers. But there are some in its midst, possessed of considerable influence and ability, who are devoting themselves loyally to its needs. May they long remain in its service."
[From Official Programme - Buckley Jubilee Day Festivities, 8 July 1902]
The town of Buckley developed rapidly during the nineteeth century, straddling the boundary between the ancient parishes of Mold and Hawarden.
For ecclesiastical purposes, the town is now divided between the parishes of Buckley and Bistre.