GENUKI Home page Flintshire county page Flintshire Flintshire parish index Parishes Contents Contents

 

Buckley

"Buckley is in the County of Flint, North Wales. The neighbouring towns are Chester, 8 miles, Flint 6, Mold 3, and Hawarden 2. It is situated on an eminence about 500 feet above sea level. The River Dee flows 3 miles below, and the mouth of the Dee and Irish Sea are in view to the North-west. As the breezes blow mainly from that point, its position is rendered very healthful and invigorating. Looking west and south there is a splendid view of the Clwydian range of mountains, Caergwrle castle, etc. The population is about 7000, and its industries are coal-mining, the manufacture of fire-clay bricks, tiles, etc., and pottery earthenware. A century ago it was but a straggling village of a score or so of mud and stone straw-thatched cottages, but coal was mined here 200 years since. ..... With one or two honourable exceptions, the district has never received the assistance it might have had from its absentee landlords and employers. But there are some in its midst, possessed of considerable influence and ability, who are devoting themselves loyally to its needs. May they long remain in its service."
[From Official Programme - Buckley Jubilee Day Festivities, 8 July 1902]

The town of Buckley developed rapidly during the nineteeth century, straddling the boundary between the ancient parishes of Mold and Hawarden.
For ecclesiastical purposes, the town is now divided between the parishes of Buckley and Bistre.

 

Bibliography  

N.B. The entries below represent only a selection of articles published in   Buckley: the magazine of the Buckley Society - for further material search the NLW  Book catalogue

Cemeteries

In addition to the churchyard of St. Matthew's parish church, and the churchyard of Emmanuel parish church, Bistre, there is a public cemetery in Elfed Road (OS ref. SJ 276642).
The cemetery, which was opened about 1891, is still in use, and is administered by Flintshire County Council. The opening time is 8.00 a.m. until sunset.
The cemetery records, from 1891 to date, are held at the Flintshire County offices in Flint.
Researchers who wish to see the cemetery records mustmake a prior appointment, by contacting :

A copy of the burial register from 1928-1982 has also been deposited in Flintshire Record Office, Hawarden.

Return to top of page

Church History

Ordnance Survey reference SJ 284648.
By the early nineteenth century, the Buckley district of the parish of Hawarden was becoming heavily industrialised, with a rapidly increasing population. In 1818 the Rector of Hawarden, Rev. George Neville, decided that the district should have its own church, and launched an appeal for funds. Sufficient funds were quickly raised to build the church, a parsonage, and two schools. The foundation stone of the church was laid on Friday 14 December 1821, with considerable ceremony, and the church was completed within nine months:
"A plain but handsome Gothic structure, embracing an area within sixty-eight feet, by forty-four feet, without pillars, which is divided into three aisles, Middle, North, and South .....
On Wednesday the 25th of September, 1822, the ceremony of consecration took place at this Church; the day was favourable, and from the best observations it was calculated that near two thousand people were assembled ....."
[From A Memoir of Hawarden Parish, Richard Willett, 1822]
Buckley church remained as a district church within the parish of Hawarden until 12 December 1874, when the parish of Buckley was established in its own right. The new parish comprised the township of Ewloe Wood and parts of the townships of Ewloe Town and Pentrobin.
The church was extensively rebuilt during the early years of the twentieth century, and was re-consecrated on 11 January 1905.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Flint - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the "Urban District of Buckley". This was a Civiladministrative district, which included parts of the Ecclesiastical parish of Buckley :

Name of Chapel Denomination Number of "adherents"
Nantmawr - English Baptist 100
Daisy Hill - English Baptist 100
St. John - English Congregational 550
Mold Road Calvinistic Methodist 140
Zion English Presbyterian 140
Bistre Methodist New Connexion 400
Pentrobin Methodist New Connexion 250
Alltami Primitive Methodist 138
Drury Primitive Methodist 176
Tabernacle Primitive Methodist 500
Not named Salvation Army 100
Brunswick - English Wesleyan 130
Mold Road - Welsh Wesleyan 35
The Square - English Wesleyan 150
Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers

Baptisms Marriages Burials
1822 - 1966 1841 - 1992 1822 - 1978

Bishop's Transcripts

Deposited at the National Library of Wales Microfilmed copies
1867 - 1872 None

I.G.I.

It should be noted that until 1874, when it became a separate parish, the ecclesiastical district of Buckley did not have specifically defined boundaries within the parish of Hawarden, and its parishioners had the option to be baptised, married or buried in any church of the parish of Hawarden, subject to the consent of the incumbent.

When researching the years 1822 to 1874, a thorough search of all the registers of the parish of Hawarden, especially those of the nearby church of Pentrobin and the parish church in Hawarden, is therefore advisable!

Nonconformist Records

Name of Chapel Denomination Type of Record Years Covered
Buckley Mountain Independent Births and Baptisms 1820 - 1836
Name of Chapel Denomination Type of Record Years Covered Held at
St. John's Congregational Baptisms, Marriages and Burials 1946 - 1982 FRO
Zion English Presbyterian Marriages 1899 - 1966
1973 - 1974
NLW
Providence, Bistre Methodist New Connexion Baptisms 1893 - 1948 FRO
Providence, Bistre Methodist New Connexion Baptisms 1950 - 1977 DRO
Alltami / Drury / Tabernacle, Buckley
("Circuit")
Primitive Methodist / Methodist Baptisms 1902 - 1989 FRO
(Not named) Wesleyan Methodist Baptisms 1893 - 1948 FRO
(Not named) Wesleyan Methodist Baptisms 1950 - 1977 (photocopies) FRO
Brunswick Wesleyan Methodist Baptisms 1885 - 1935 FRO
Square Wesleyan Methodist Baptisms 1885 - 1933 FRO
Return to top of page

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced in July 1837, Buckley (being part of Hawarden parish) was assigned to the No. 4 ("Hawarden") sub-district of the Great Boughton Registration District (Cheshire).

On the 1st January 1870, the Great Boughton registration district was re-named as Chester.

On 1 January 1903, the sub-district of Hawarden was upgraded to a Registration District in its own right.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Buckley are found under:

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Buckley - on wikipedia

Buckley Town Council

Buckley photographs - on geograph.org.uk

History

Buckley Society

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

Population

Return to top of page

Statistics

Archdeacon Thomas (1911) gives the area of the parish as 2048 acres.
Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated   8 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.