"Caerwys, a small market town containing, according to the returns made to Parliament, 162 houses, and 773 inhabitants. ... It having been a Roman station, and afterwards a seat of judicature: the assize, or great sessions for the county of Flint being held for several centuries at this place."
[From North Wales ; Rev. J. Evans, 1812]
Caerwys is one of the "ancient parishes" of Flintshire. It comprises the townships of Tref Edwyn, Tre-dre, Bryngwyn Ucha and Bryngwyn Isa. The town of Caerwys was at one time a place of considerable importance.