GENUKI Home page Flintshire county page Flintshire Flintshire parish index Parishes Contents Contents


Connah's Quay

"In the hamlet of Golftyn a large quay and pier have been constructed, within the last few years, by the Irish Coal Company, and vessels sail regularly from this place for Liverpool, London, and Dublin, and the ports of North Wales. A very large ale and porter brewery, the first of the kind established in this county, was erected in the hamlet of Kelsterton, in the year 1818, and is conducted upon a very extensive scale and with great advantage to the proprietors: from this establishment part of the city of Chester, and this and the adjoining counties are supplied."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, S. Lewis, 1834]

The town of Connah's Quay began to develop some two hundred years ago, on the banks of the estuary of the River Dee, in the parish of Northop. By the mid-Victorian period, it had become a busy port, with a thriving ship-building industry.
The precise identity of "Connah" remains uncertain, despite considerable activity by researchers. The parish registers of the adjacent parish of Hawarden have entries for Connah (under various spellings) dating from the sixteenth century - it is generally believed that there is a connection.
The new parish of Connah's Quay was created on 31 January 1844, from the townships of Wepre, Golftyn, Kelsterton, Leadbrook Major and Leadbrook Minor (all formerly in the parish of Northop).
In 1872, the townships of Leadbrook Major and Leadbrook Minor were transferred to the parish of Flint.

For a map link to this place - see Maps under Northop



In addition to the churchyard at St. Mark's parish church (now closed to further burials), there is a large public cemetery in Bryn Road (OS ref. SJ 288697).
The cemetery, which was opened about 1883, is still in use, and is administered by Flintshire County Council. The opening time is 8.00 a.m. until sunset. There is a full time Sexton in attendance.
The cemetery records, from 1883 to date, are held at the Flintshire County offices in Flint.
Researchers who wish to see the cemetery records mustmake a prior appointment, by contacting :
Return to top of page

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Andrews Methodist Church

Ordnance Survey reference SJ 291699.
The church of St. Mark, Connah's Quay was consecrated on 16 August 1837, initially as a district church within the parish of Northop.
"On Wednesday week, the new Church of St. Mark, at Connah's Quay, was consecrated by the Bishop of St. Asaph.
The building was raised by voluntary subscription to supply the want of church room, for the increasing population of a large district in the parish of Northop. It is calculated to hold about 600, and is finished with a neatness and taste which reflect the highest credit on all who have been concerned in its erection."
[From The Chester Chronicle of 25 August 1837]
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Flint - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Connah's Quay:

Name of Chapel Denomination Number of "adherents"
Rehoboth - Welsh Congregational 98
Rivertown Congregational 200
Not named - Welsh Calvinistic Methodist 73
Golftyn English Presbyterian 200
Wepre English Presbyterian 250
Not named Methodist New Connexion 800
Not named Primitive Methodist 200
Not named - English Wesleyan 200
Seion - Welsh Wesleyan 50
Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers

Baptisms Marriages Burials
1837 - 1979 1839 - 1981 1837 - 1933

Bishop's Transcripts

Deposited at the National Library of Wales Microfilmed copies
1837 - 1852 1837 - 1852


Type of Record Years Covered I.G.I. Batch Number
Baptisms 1837 - 1852 C056691
Marriages None -

Nonconformist Records

Name of Chapel Denomination Type of Record Years Covered
Connah's Quay and Hawarden circuit Methodist Baptisms 1902 - 1989
Bethel, Chapel Street Methodist Marriages 1950 - 1957
Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The new parish of Connah's Quay was assigned to the No. 3 ("Flint") sub-district of the Holywell Registration District, which was co-extensive with the Holywell poor law Union.

Connah's Quay was transferred to the Hawarden Registration District in 1971.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Connah's Quay are found under:

(GRO index references have no relevance at the localSuperintendent Registrar's Office)
Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Connah's Quay - on wikipedia

Connah's Quay Town Council

Connah's Quay - on


Return to top of page


Archdeacon Thomas (1911) gives the area of the parish as 2206 acres.
Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated   2 June 2013 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.