Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"The scenery is highly picturesque; and from the hills, which surround the village, are obtained some fine prospects, extending over the fertile and beautiful Vale of Clwyd, and embracing a view of the Irish Sea, and the summit of Snowdon, with the adjacent mountains. The elevated parts of the parish are thought to abound with mineral treasures; and iron stone has been found, and a forge and foundry set up in the neighbourhood for the working of it."
[From Handbook for the Vale of Clwyd , William Davis, 1856]
Cwm is one of the ancient parishes of Flintshire, comprising the two townships of Uwchllan and Isllan. It remained unaffected by the widespread creation of new parishes during the Victorian era.
- Owen, E. Goronwy. Parish of St. Mael and St. Sulien, Cwm Rev ed. / [s.l.] : Church in Wales, Diocese of St Asaph, 
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 066775
The church dates from the fourteenth century, or earlier; although it was rebuilt about 1500. There were restorations in 1881 and 1901. The church is built on a hillside, and the floor is in three levels. The dedication is to Saints Mael and Sulien.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Flint - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Cwm:
|Name of Chapel
||Number of "adherents"
|Mynydd Seion - Welsh
"Of the Registers the oldest dates from 1727, but the Terrier in Register for 1764 mentions two earlier ones, dating from 1605, then lost; a similar fate nearly overtook a later one, 1791-1812, which being advertised in a bookseller's catalogue in January 1890, was claimed by the Rector and the Archdeacon of St. Asaph, and after a trial in a Magistrate's Court in London was recovered for the church".
[From The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , Ven. D.R. Thomas, 1908]
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at Flintshire Record Office, Hawarden. They may be viewed on microfilm at the Flintshire Record Office, the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin, and the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth. These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1727 - 1939
||1727 - 1971
||1727 - 1913
Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1727 - 1812
||1727 - 1837
||1727 - 1812
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Flintshire and Denbighshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales
|1666 - 1838
||1666 - 1837
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the Flintshire Record Office, Hawarden.
|Deposited at Flintshire Record Office
|1841 - 1850
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for Cwm Parish Church.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Cwm was assigned to the No. 1 ("St. Asaph") sub-district of the St. Asaph Registration District, which was co-extensive with the St. Asaph poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Cwm are found under:
- Years 1837 - 1851: St. Asaph XXVII. nnn
- Years 1852 - 1946: St. Asaph 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Cwm which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Cwm has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ068773 (Lat/Lon: 53.284438, -3.399456), Cwm which are provided by:
- In 1831- the population was 442.
- In 1901- the population was 346.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
Archdeacon Thomas (1911) gives the area of the parish as 4000 acres.