"The scenery is highly picturesque; and from the hills, which surround the village, are obtained some fine prospects, extending over the fertile and beautiful Vale of Clwyd, and embracing a view of the Irish Sea, and the summit of Snowdon, with the adjacent mountains. The elevated parts of the parish are thought to abound with mineral treasures; and iron stone has been found, and a forge and foundry set up in the neighbourhood for the working of it."
[From Handbook for the Vale of Clwyd , William Davis, 1856]
Cwm is one of the ancient parishes of Flintshire, comprising the two townships of Uwchllan and Isllan. It remained unaffected by the widespread creation of new parishes during the Victorian era.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Flint - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Cwm:
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Mynydd Seion - Welsh||Wesleyan||50|
"Of the Registers the oldest dates from 1727, but the Terrier in Register for 1764 mentions two earlier ones, dating from 1605, then lost; a similar fate nearly overtook a later one, 1791-1812, which being advertised in a bookseller's catalogue in January 1890, was claimed by the Rector and the Archdeacon of St. Asaph, and after a trial in a Magistrate's Court in London was recovered for the church".
[From The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , Ven. D.R. Thomas, 1908]
|1727 - 1939||1727 - 1971||1727 - 1913|
|1727 - 1812||1727 - 1837||1727 - 1812|
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1666 - 1838||1666 - 1837|
|Deposited at Flintshire Record Office||Microfilmed copies|
|1841 - 1850||None|
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Cwm are found under:
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Cwm - on Vision of Britain
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Archdeacon Thomas (1911) gives the area of the parish as 4000 acres.
Last Updated 8 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date