St. Mary's churchyard was closed in 1856, by an Order in Council, and a cemetery, complete with chapel, was opened off Northop Road, a short distance to the south-west (OS ref. SJ 242728). The first burial in the cemetery was on 18 November 1856.
Until 1900, this cemetery was to all intents and purposes the "remote" churchyard of St. Mary's parish church, all burials being recorded in St. Mary's burial register.
The cemetery was extended by two acres on Friday, 13th September 1889. The Bishop of St. Asaph officiated at the consecration service, which was conducted with considerable pomp and ceremony.
At the turn of the century, maintenance of the cemetery was handed over to the local authority.
In 1941, the local authority opened a second cemetery, in London Road (OS ref. SJ 233731). Both cemeteries are still in use, and are now administered by Flintshire County Council. The opening time for each cemetery is 8.00 a.m. until sunset.
The cemetery records, from 1890 to date (Northop Road), and 1941 to date (London Road), are held at the Flintshire County offices in Flint.
Researchers who wish to see the cemetery records must make a prior appointment, by contacting :
You can see the administrative areas
in which Flint has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Ask for a calculation of the distance from Flint to another place.
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ244729 (Lat/Lon: 53.247700, -3.134474), Flint which are provided by: