"This parish, which is embosomed in hills, and surrounded by lofty mountains, abounds with lead ore, and very extensive mines have been worked for many years with considerable advantage to the proprietors.
The village is pleasantly situated at the base of a ridge of hills, on the summit of which are numerous verdant tumuli, supposed to be the sepulchres of persons of distinction at some remote period."
[From Handbook for the Vale of Clwyd, William Davis, 1856]
Gwaenysgor is one of the ancient parishes of Flintshire. Its two townships of Gwaenysgor and Carnychan are both mentioned in the Domesday book. The village itself, located on the hillside above Prestatyn, is very ancient - Neolithic man had a camp and workshop on the hill to the north of the present village; and there is a Bronze Age barrow on the top of the hill, beneath which a cremation burial has been found. The circular shape of the graveyard surrounding the church, like those around certain other churches in North Wales, suggests that it might possibly have been a Romano-British cemetery. A small bronze figure of a horse, dating from the Romano-British period, was discovered during excavations of a grave in 1875. A Roman milestone has also been found, built into the wall of the churchyard.