GENUKI Home page Up Hawarden Contents Contents



The village of Broughton is in the parish of Hawarden, lying two miles to the east of Hawarden village.

 For a map link to this place - see under Maps on Hawarden

Church History

Ordnance Survey reference SJ 343640.
The district church of St. Mary, Broughton was consecrated by the Bishop of Chester on the 8th of September 1824. The chancel was added in 1876-1877.

"The Church itself is a very neat Gothic building, and does great credit to all those concerned in its erection. This is the second which has been erected in Hawarden parish, through the exertions of the Rev. Mr. Neville, within the last two years, to whom too much praise cannot be given for his pious zeal and activity."
[From The Chester Chronicle of 10 September 1824]

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

St. Mary's is a member church of the modern Rectorial Benefice of Hawarden - it is not a separate parish. The ecclesiastical district of Broughton does not have specifically defined boundaries within the parish of Hawarden.

Nonconformist Churches

See Hawarden.
Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers

1824 - 1970 1841 - 1990 1824 - 1962

Bishop's Transcripts

Deposited at the Flintshire Record Office, Hawarden. Microfilmed copies
1824 - 1872 None


Researchers should note that the parishioners have always had the option to be baptised, married or buried in any church of the parish of Hawarden, subject to the consent of the incumbent.
A thorough search of all registers, especially those of the parish church in Hawarden, is therefore advisable!

Nonconformist Records

See Hawarden.

Civil Registration

See Hawarden.


See Hawarden.
Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated   8 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.