"Potteries for the manufacture of coarse earthenware, and kilns for making fire-bricks and tiles of superior quality, a considerable quantity of which is shipped to various ports on the Welsh coast and to Ireland, have for some years been carried on here to a great extent, and afford employment to a great proportion of the inhabitants: the clay is found on Buckley mountain, and when manufactured into bricks, is calculated in a superior manner to resist intense heat"
[A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, S. Lewis, 1834]
For a map link to this place - see under Maps on Hawarden
" ... one of the handsomest churches in Flintshire, and something new in the way of church architecture. The site lies on the top of Aston Hill and commands a fine view of the Dee estuary and the lands of Wirral beyond. ... Standing on its lofty eminence and showing clearly the outlines of the Byzantine style, the new church seemed a thing of beauty."
[From The Chester Chronicle , 17 September 1938]
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Ewloe is a constituent church in the Rectorial Benefice of Hawarden - it is not a separate parish. The ecclesiastical district of Ewloe does not have specifically defined boundaries within the parish of Hawarden.
Nonconformist ChurchesSee Hawarden.
|-||1938 - 1987|
Researchers should note that the parishioners have always had the option to be baptised or married in any church of the parish of Hawarden, subject to the consent of the incumbent. As Ewloe does not have a churchyard, burials have usually taken place at Hawarden.
Last Updated 8 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date