"A township in the parish of Hawarden, hundred of Mold, county of Flint; 1½ miles (S.) from Hawarden. .... It comprises what might be considered the southern suburbs of Hawarden, and is chiefly noted for its manufacture of fire-bricks, tiles, coarse earthenware, &c., of which large quantities are exported: the clay for the purpose is procured in the immediate neighbourhood."
[A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, S. Lewis, 1834]
For a map link to this place - see under Maps on Hawarden
St. John's, strictly speaking, is not the district church for the adjoining villages of Penymynydd and Penyffordd. For ecclesiastical purposes, Penyffordd is in the parish of Hope; and Penymynydd is partly in the parish of Hope and partly in Higher Kinnerton.
St. John's was consecrated on the 22nd of July 1843.
"The church has been built of stone, by Mr Dabell, in the pointed or early English style of the date of Henry the Third, after a design by Mr J. Buckler of London; and whether regarded with reference to its external appearance, or its interior arrangements, is really a most admirable specimen of ecclesiastical architecture."The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
[From The Chester Chronicle of 28th July 1843]
St. John's is a constituent church of the modern Rectorial Benefice of Hawarden - it is not a separate parish.
Nonconformist ChurchesSee Hawarden.
|1843 - 1902||1881 - 1983||1843 - 1983|
|Deposited at the Flintshire Record Office, Hawarden.||Microfilmed copies|
|1849 - 1872||None|
Researchers should note that the ecclesiastical district of Pentrobin does not have specifically defined boundaries within the parish of Hawarden, and its parishioners have always had the option to be baptised or married in any church of the parish of Hawarden, subject to the consent of the incumbent.
A thorough search of the registers, especially those of the parish church in Hawarden, is therefore advisable!
Last Updated 8 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date