For a map link to this place - see under Maps on Hawarden
The new district church of St. Francis was dedicated and opened for worship on Saturday, 20 December 1913:
"The Bishop of St. Asaph dedicated on Saturday the new church of St. Francis, built in the parish of Hawarden, in memory of Mr Frank Taylor of Sandycroft; with its chapel of St. Ambrose in memory of Canon Drew and his work there. It is a pretty village church in the old English style, built of brick and Runcorn stone, and is complete with the exception of the nave and aisle.
The cost is about £3000, a considerable portion of which is being borne by members of the Taylor family, who have been connected with the industrial life of Flintshire for many years. The congregation had worshipped in a school for about thirty years".
[From The Flintshire Observer of 24th December 1913]
The church, which was not completed until 1935, was eventually consecrated by the Bishop of St. Asaph on Wednesday, 10th July 1935.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Sandycroft is a constituent church of the modern Rectorial Benefice of Hawarden - it is not a separate parish.
Nonconformist ChurchesSee Hawarden.
|1913 - 1952||-||-|
Researchers should note that the ecclesiastical district of Sandycroft does not have specifically defined boundaries within the parish of Hawarden, and its parishioners have the option to be baptised or married in any church of the parish of Hawarden, subject to the consent of the incumbent. As Sandycroft does not have a churchyard, burials have usually taken place at Hawarden. A thorough search of the registers, especially those of the parish church in Hawarden, is therefore advisable!
Last Updated 8 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date