"In 1740, the uninclosed lands on the North side of the River, denominated Sealand, amounted to 4,818 acres."
[From A Memoir of Hawarden Parish, Richard Willett, 1822]
During the eighteenth century, in an attempt to assist navigation to Chester, the River Dee to the west of Chester was diverted into a man-made channel, some distance south of its former course. The Flintshire/Cheshire border still follows the former line of the river. An extensive area of marshland, within the parish of Hawarden, but to the north of the new channel, was reclaimed as a result of this diversion. This reclaimed area became known as Sealand.
For a map link to this place - see under Maps on Hawarden
The district church of St. Bartholomew, at Sealand, in the parish of Hawarden, was consecrated on the 15th of October 1867.
"The church is designed in the Early Gothic style. It is constructed of stone from the Helsby quarries, the interior being finished with ashlar. The plan consists of a nave, 62 feet by 26 feet; chancel, 24 feet by 17 feet; a small transept on the north side is to contain the organ, and the vestry is under the tower on the south side of the chancel. The tower is 65 feet high, surmounted by a metal cross, but at present only contains one bell. The whole of the roof timbers and doors are of oak ....."The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
[From The Chester Chronicle of 21 October 1867.]
St. Bartholomew's is a constituent church of the modern Rectorial Benefice of Hawarden - it is not a separate parish.
Nonconformist Churches"Welsh Church Commission - County of Flint - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" does not list any nonconformist places of worship for the Civil parish of Sealand.
|Place of Worship||Baptisms||Marriages|
|St. Bartholomew's||1867 - 1948||1868 - 1989|
|Royal Air Force, Sealand
Church in Wales
|1959 - 1977||-|
|Deposited at the Flintshire Record Office, Hawarden.||Microfilmed copies|
Researchers should note that as the ecclesiastical district of Sealand does not have specifically defined boundaries within the parish of Hawarden, its parishioners have always had the option to be baptised or married in any church of the parish of Hawarden, subject to the consent of the incumbent. As St. Bartholomew's does not have a churchyard, burials have usually taken place at Hawarden. A thorough search of the registers, especially those of the parish church in Hawarden, is therefore advisable!
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Type of Record||Years Covered|
|Garden City||Congregational||Baptisms||1912 - 1920
1950 - 1986
|Garden City||Congregational||Marriages||1972 - 1986|
|Garden City||Congregational||Burials||1950 - 1986|
Last Updated 8 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date