Higher Kinnerton is in Flintshire, and was historically within the parish of Hope; but for ecclesiastical purposes, it has for many years been a chapelry of the parish of Dodleston, Cheshire.
After the disestablishment of the Church in Wales, in 1920, the parishioners of Higher Kinnerton elected to stay with the parish of Dodleston.
Otherwise, for normal purposes of local government and administration, Higher Kinnerton is a Flintshire village.
However, the neighbouring village of Lower Kinnerton, which is about 1 mile to the north-east, is in Cheshire.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Flint - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist place of worship in the Civilparish of Kinnerton :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Not Named||Primitive Methodist||66|
|1868 - 1966||1894 - 1947||-|
On the 1st January 1870, the Great Boughton registration district was re-structured, and re-named as "Chester".
On 1 January 1903, the sub-district of Hawarden was upgraded to a Registration District in its own right.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Higher Kinnerton are found under:
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Higher Kinnerton - on wikipedia
Higher Kinnerton - on geograph.org.uk
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Last Updated 8 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date