GENUKI Home page Up Holywell Contents Contents


Greenfield / Maes Glas

"In this place, extensive zinc works have of late been carried on: the article is manufactured in considerable quantities for the English markets, giving employment to a great number of men. It is computed that not less than 30 tons of coal a day are consumed in this work. There is also an extensive copper works carried on in this place, in which it is estimated that from 6000 to 7000 tons of copper are smelted annually, and manufactured into different articles of trade. Extensive paper mills are also carried on here."
[From A Visitor's Guide to Rhyl and its Vicinity, D. Lloyd Lewis, 1852.]

For a map link to this place - see under Maps on Holywell


There are two public cemeteries ("No. 1" and "No. 2") in School Lane (OS ref. SJ 189775).
The earlier one dates from about 1914. Both are still in use, and are administered by Flintshire County Council. The opening times are 8.00 a.m. until sunset.
The cemetery records, from 1914 to date, are held at the Flintshire County Council offices in Flint.
Researchers who wish to see the cemetery records must make a prior appointment, by contacting :
Return to top of page

Church History

Ordnance Survey reference SJ 194776.
The church of Holy Trinity, Greenfield, was licensed for worship on 18 October 1871, as a district church within the parish of Holywell. The chancel and vestry were added in 1910/1911, and the church was consecrated on 25 April 1911.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Flint - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in Greenfield, within "Holywell Rural District". This was a Civiladministrative district, which included the Ecclesiastical parish of Greenfield :

Name of Chapel Denomination Number of "adherents"
Peniel Calvinistic Methodist 190
Alpha - English Congregational 153
Berea Wesleyan 35
Ebenezer Wesleyan 75
Mount Gilead Wesleyan 160
Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers

Baptisms Marriages Burials
- 1913 - 1971 -

Bishop's Transcripts


Return to top of page

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), Greenfield was assigned to the No. 2 ("Holywell") sub-district of the Holywell Registration District, which was co-extensive with the Holywell poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Greenfield are found under:

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated   8 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.