GENUKI Home page Flintshire county page Flintshire Flintshire parish index Parishes Contents Contents

 

Hope / Yr Hb

"The parish is divided by the river Alyn into two parts; that above the river, called Hope Medachiad, comprises the townships of Uwchmynydd (subdivided into Uwch and Issa), Cymau, Caergwrle and Rhanberfedd; and that below the river those of Hope Owen, Estyn and Shordley. The total area contains 9171 acres, but a portion was transferred to the daughter parish of Llanfynydd in 1843, leaving to the mother church an area of 5171 acres, with a population of 3075."
[From The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , Ven. D.R. Thomas, 1908]

 

Bibliography

Cemeteries

In addition to the churchyard at the parish church, there are two public cemeteries in Fagl Lane.
Old Hope Cemetery (SJ 307583) was opened in the 1860's, and Bryn-y-Grog Cemetery (SJ 305583) was opened in the 1950's.
Both cemeteries are still in use, and are administered by Flintshire County Council. The opening time for each cemetery is 8.00 a.m. until sunset. There is a full time Sexton in attendance.
The cemetery records, from 1865 to date (Old Hope), and 1959 to date (Bryn-y-Grog), are held at the Flintshire County offices in Flint.
Researchers who wish to see the cemetery records mustmake a prior appointment, by contacting :
Return to top of page

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Hope, St Cynfarch

Ordnance Survey reference SJ 309583.

There is evidence that a wooden church stood on the site during the 12th century. This was replaced by a stone building in the late 13th century. The north nave was built circa 1500, with the tower being added some years later. Extensive "restoration" took place in 1859, and again in 1885.

Before the restoration of 1885 :

"The Churchwarden's boxes rose majestically to the height of seven feet, and some large holes cut in the front through which the head might be emerged were the only means by which the occupants could obtain a satisfactory view of the outer world."
[From The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , Ven. D.R. Thomas, 1908]

Urgent and extensive structural repairs to the fabric of the church were undertaken during the year 2000; and the church was re-opened, and re-dedicated by the Bishop of St. Asaph, on Sunday, 17 December 2000.

The church is currently dedicated to Saint Cynfarch and Saint Cyngar; although at various times in the past it appears to have been dedicated to either one or the other.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

Hope Parish site

Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Flint - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Hope :

Name of Chapel Denomination Number of "adherents"
Cymau Calvinistic Methodist 210
Ffrith Calvinistic Methodist 60
Horeb Calvinistic Methodist 125
Sion, Coed Talon Calvinistic Methodist 150
Bethel, Caergwrle - Welsh Congregational 110
Castle Farm, Caergwrle - English Congregational 80
Cromwell's Hill, Caergwrle - English Congregational Not stated
Penuel, Llanfynydd - Welsh Congregational 50
Not named, Pontybodkin - Welsh Congregational 115
Bethlehem, Cefnybedd English Presbyterian 180
Not named, Caergwrle English Presbyterian 220
Sion, Penyffordd English Presbyterian 85
Not named, Caergwrle Primitive Methodist 35
Not named, Penyffordd Primitive Methodist 150
Not named, Caergwrle United Methodist Free Church 103
Carmel, Cymau - Welsh Wesleyan 73
Moriah - Welsh Wesleyan 105
Ffrith - Welsh Wesleyan 125
Not named, Caergwrle - English Wesleyan 100
Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers

Baptisms Marriages Burials
1668 - 1904 1668 - 1907 1668 - 1943
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1668 - 1812 1668 - 1812 1668 - 1812

Bishop's Transcripts

Deposited at the National Library of Wales Microfilmed copies
1662 - 1851 1662 - 1851

I.G.I.

  Nonconformist Records

Name of Chapel Denomination Type of Record Years Covered
Penuel and Gyfynus Independent Births and Baptisms 1820 - 1837
Name of Chapel Denomination Type of Record Years Covered Held at
Bethlehem, Cefnybedd English Presbyterian Baptisms
Marriages
Burials
1875 - 1897
1873 - 1887
1873 - 1888
NLW
Sion, Penyffordd English Presbyterian Marriages 1937 - 1970
1972 - 1975
NLW
Caergwrle (not named) Wesleyan Marriages 1935 - 1967 FRO
Return to top of page

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Hope was assigned to the No. 1 ("Hope") sub-district of the Wrexham Registration District, which was co-extensive with the Wrexham poor law Union.

On 1 August 1871, Hope was transferred to the Hawarden poor law Union (established 1853); and for civil registration purposes, it was assigned to the No. 4 (" Hawarden") sub-district of the Chester Registration District.

On 1 January 1903, the sub-district of Hawarden was upgraded to a Registration District in its own right.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Hope are found under:

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Hope - on wikipedia

Hope - on geograph.org.uk

Hope - on Vision of Britain

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

Population

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated   8 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.