"The beautiful village of Llanasa is situated in a pleasant valley at the northern extremity of the county, on the south-western shore of the estuary of the Dee, near its influx with the Irish sea ...... In this neighbourhood are several genteel residences."
[From A Visitor's Guide to Rhyl and its Vicinity, D. Lloyd Lewis, 1852.]
Llanasa is one of the "ancient parishes" of Flintshire. It originally comprised the townships of Gronant, Gwespyr, Kelston, Golden Grove, Picton, Axtyn and Trelogan.
In 1812, an embankment nearly two miles in length was built, allowing a large area of fertile land to be reclaimed from the sea. This area became the township of Trewaelod.
A portion of the township of Gronant was lost to the new parish of Prestatyn in 1860.