Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
The new parish of Llanfynydd was created on the 7th February 1845, out of the townships of Uwchmynydd Ucha, Uwchmynydd Isa, and part of Cymau, which had all been in the parish of Hope until that time.
In 1880, part of the township of Uwchmynydd Ucha was transferred to the new parish of Bwlchgwyn (Denbighshire).
- Roberts, Raymond. The Hope Mountain and Llanfynydd six Connah's Quay : Clwydian Walks, 1992.
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 279567.
Christ Church was consecrated in October 1843. It was badly damaged by fire on 4 December 1892.
"Willing hands were soon at work carrying water from an adjacent stream; but this primitive method of extinguishing the flames was a slow and tedious one .... The vestry is totally destroyed, and all its valuable contents .... and, worst of all, the registers of marriages and deaths, and their duplicates"
[From The Chester Chronicle, 10 December 1892]
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of St Michael's church ( which the writer assumes was the new church built to replace Christ Church).
Nonconformist Churches See Hope.
- The following Parish Registers (some of which survived the fire, despite the report quoted above) have been deposited at Flintshire Record Office, Hawarden. They may be viewed on microfilm at the Flintshire Record Office, the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin, and the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth. These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1843 - 1914
||1893 - 1970
- No Bishop's Transcripts have been deposited.
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Michael's, Llanfynydd.
You can see pictures of Llanfynydd which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ279566 (Lat/Lon: 53.101691, -3.078351), Llanfynydd which are provided by:
- In 1831- Llanfynydd was not a separate parish.
- In 1901- the population was 823.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
Archdeacon Thomas (1911) gives the area of the parish as 4000 acres.