Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"Meliden comprises an extensive tract of rich arable and pasture land, which is in a high state of cultivation: the surface is in general flat, and the whole district, extending to Rhuddlan, is remarkably fertile"
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, S. Lewis, 1834]
Meliden is one of the ancient parishes of Flintshire. An early recorded reference is in the "Lincoln Taxation" of 1291, but it was also recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086. The parish originally comprised the townships of Meliden, Prestatyn and Nant; but Prestatyn and Nant were lost to the new parish of Prestatyn in 1860.
- Book of reference to the plan of the Parish of Meliden (Hundred of Prestatyn) in the county of Flint : Major-General Sir Henry James, Superintendent of the Survey London : Eyre & Spottiswoode for H.M.S.O., 1872
- Edwards, Thos. Historical guide to Prestatyn, Dyserth, Meliden, Newmarket, Gwaenysgor, Llanasa, Talacre, etc Prestatyn : John T. Burrows, 
- Howe, Marjorie. Memories of old Meliden Rhyl : Marjorie Howe, 
- Hughes, J. and J. Phillips. The 'Barbara Allen' nature walk at Craig Fawr SSSI, Meliden Proceedings of the Dyserth and district field club, (1995), p. 26-30
- Jones, W Hugh A strike at Talgarth lead-mine one hundred years ago Flintshire Historical Society journal, Vol.16 1956 Welsh Journals Online
- Scarll, P. and J. Phillips. Circular walk - Meliden to Gop Hill Proceedings of the Dyserth and district field club, (2003), p. 19-21
- Thomas, John. Meliden Church Hel achau, No. 52 (May 1997), p. 10-11.
- Thompson, Trefor. Old Prestatyn and Meliden Rhuddlan : Charter Publications, 1981.
- Thompson, Trefor. Prestatyn and Meliden in old photographs Rhuddlan : Charter Publications, c1979.
- Williams, George Ewart. Some memories of old Meliden Hel achau, No. 91 (Ionawr / January 2007), p. 24-25
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 063811.
Some parts of the church fabric are believed to date from the thirteenth century; but the building was extensively restored in 1884. The dedication is to St. Melyd.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
The Parish of Meliden
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Flint - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Meliden :
|Name of Chapel
||Number of "adherents"
|Salem - Welsh
- The following nonconformist registers for the Meliden area are held at the Flintshire Record Office, Hawarden.
They have not been filmed; and they have not been incorporated into the I.G.I. :
|Name of Chapel
||Type of Record
||Births and Baptisms
||1856 - 1971
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Meliden was assigned to the No. 1 ("St. Asaph") sub-district of the St. Asaph Registration District, which was co-extensive with the St. Asaph poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Meliden are found under:
- Years 1837 - 1851: St. Asaph XXVII. nnn
- Years 1852 - 1946: St. Asaph 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
You can see pictures of Meliden which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Meliden has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ068809 (Lat/Lon: 53.316788, -3.400514), Meliden which are provided by:
- In 1831- the population was 720.
- In 1901- the population was 478.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
Archdeacon Thomas (1911) gives the area of the parish as 1484 acres.