"Mold is a market town situated in a small but fertile plain, surrounded by rugged hills, richly productive of mineral treasure. It consists principally of one long and spacious street, comprising 682 houses, and has a population amounting to 4235. On the north side is a mount, partly natural, and partly artificial, from where is a fine view of of the circumjacent country, with Moel-y-famma (sic) rising proudly pre-eminent among the Clwydian hills".
[From North Wales, Rev. J. Evans, 1812]
Mold is one of the "ancient parishes" of Flintshire, and originally comprised the twenty-five townships of Arddunwent, Argoed, Birchenald, Bistre, Broncoed, Cilrhedynnen, Groesonnen, Gwernaffield, Gwernymynydd, Gwysanau, Hartsheath, Hendebifa, Leeswood, Llai, Llong, Llwynegrin, Nercwys, Pantymwyn, Pontbleiddyn, Pentre, Rhual, Rhydgoli, Tre'r Beirdd, Treuddyn and Waunyrwyddfid.
Both Nercwys and Treuddyn became chapelries at an early date, and by the nineteenth century they were effectively separate parishes, although until 1832 they were administered jointly.
On 23 May 1844, the new parish of Bistre was created, from the township of Bistre and part of the township of Argoed.
On the same date, the new parish of Gwernaffield was created from the townships of Gwernaffield and Hendrebifa; and the new parish of Pontbleiddyn was created from the township of Hartsheath and part of the township of Leeswood.
On 27 May 1844, Nercwys was officially recognised as a separate parish, comprising the townships of Nercwys and Arddunwent.
In 1865, part of the township of Gwysanau was lost to the new parish of Rhydymwyn.