"Overton, a small village about a mile beyond the bridge, situated on a lofty ridge, is remarkable for the commanding and almost unparalleled prospect, from a bank in the vicinity. On one side an extensive flat, consisting of rich meadows, varied, enlivened by the windings of the Dee; and bounded in front with fertile well-wooded slopes; while the naked, rusty-coloured mountains soar above in the distance; and close the diversified scene. On the other, a grand contrast is presented to the eye, by the two fertile expanses, the vale royal of Cheshire, and the plain of Salop."
[From The Beauties of England and Wales, Rev. J. Evans, 1812]
The parish of Overton lies in Maelor Saesneg, which is the detached part of Flintshire. It consists of the townships of Overton Villa, Overton Foreign and Knolton.
Overton was granted Borough status by Edward I on 20th July 1292. In July 1992, Her Majesty the Queen planted a young yew tree in the churchyard, to commemorate her visit to Overton as part of the 700th anniversary celebrations.
The earliest ecclesiastical reference is believed to be a note in the Public Records of 1402, in which Overton was declared to be a Chapelry of the parish of Bangor-on-Dee. It was in the diocese of Lichfield until 1541, when it was transferred to the newly created diocese of Chester. In 1849, it was transferred to the diocese of St. Asaph, where it remains.
On 20th December 1867, Overton was constituted as a separate parish, and endowed with its own tithes, under the patronage of the Duke of Westminister. The new parish consisted of the townships of Knolton, Maesgwaelod, Maeslewis, Overton Foreign and Overton Villa.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
St Mary the Virgin
A new cemetery and "mortuary chapel" were consecrated on the 17th June 1872, a short distance along the road to Wrexham.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Flint - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Overton :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Not named||Methodist Free Church||60|
|Not named||Primitive Methodist||59|
|1602 - 1859||1602 - 1934||1602 - 1957|
|1602 - 1812||1602 - 1837||1602 - 1812|
|Microfilmed copies of BT's|
|1604 - 1838|
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Type of Record||Years Covered|
|Knolton||Primitive Methodist||Baptisms||1867 - 1973|
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Overton are in the format :
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Overton-on-Dee - on wikipedia
Overton - on geograph.org.uk
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Archdeacon Thomas (1911) gives the area of the parish of Overton as 4398 acres.
Last Updated 8 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date