GENUKI Home page Flintshire county page Flintshire Flintshire parish index Parishes Contents Contents

 

Overton

"Overton, a small village about a mile beyond the bridge, situated on a lofty ridge, is remarkable for the commanding and almost unparalleled prospect, from a bank in the vicinity. On one side an extensive flat, consisting of rich meadows, varied, enlivened by the windings of the Dee; and bounded in front with fertile well-wooded slopes; while the naked, rusty-coloured mountains soar above in the distance; and close the diversified scene. On the other, a grand contrast is presented to the eye, by the two fertile expanses, the vale royal of Cheshire, and the plain of Salop."
[From The Beauties of England and Wales, Rev. J. Evans, 1812]

The parish of Overton lies in Maelor Saesneg, which is the detached part of Flintshire. It consists of the townships of Overton Villa, Overton Foreign and Knolton.
Overton was granted Borough status by Edward I on 20th July 1292. In July 1992, Her Majesty the Queen planted a young yew tree in the churchyard, to commemorate her visit to Overton as part of the 700th anniversary celebrations.
The earliest ecclesiastical reference is believed to be a note in the Public Records of 1402, in which Overton was declared to be a Chapelry of the parish of Bangor-on-Dee. It was in the diocese of Lichfield until 1541, when it was transferred to the newly created diocese of Chester. In 1849, it was transferred to the diocese of St. Asaph, where it remains.
On 20th December 1867, Overton was constituted as a separate parish, and endowed with its own tithes, under the patronage of the Duke of Westminister. The new parish consisted of the townships of Knolton, Maesgwaelod, Maeslewis, Overton Foreign and Overton Villa.

Bibliography

Church History

Ordnance Survey reference SJ 373418.
The Church, which is dedicated to Saint Mary the Virgin, may well be on the site of a wattle and daub structure dating back as far as the seventh century. The first stone church, of which no trace now remains, was probably built in the late twelfth century. In the late fourteenth century a church was built on the present site, consisting of a tower and nave. In the late fifteenth century the nave was demolished and a larger one was built. The Hanoverian chancel was added in 1710. In 1819 the north aisle was widened, and a vestry was built on the south side of the tower. The south aisle was added in 1855. The church was extensively restored in 1868/1869, and was re-opened on 9 August 1870.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

St Mary the Virgin

A new cemetery and "mortuary chapel" were consecrated on the 17th June 1872, a short distance along the road to Wrexham.

Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Flint - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Overton :

Name of Chapel Denomination Number of "adherents"
Not named Methodist Free Church 60
Cloy Primitive Methodist 69
Not named Primitive Methodist 59
Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers

Baptisms Marriages Burials
1602 - 1859 1602 - 1934 1602 - 1957
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1602 - 1812 1602 - 1837 1602 - 1812

Bishop's Transcripts

Microfilmed copies of BT's
1604 - 1838

Nonconformist Records

Name of Chapel Denomination Type of Record Years Covered
Knolton Primitive Methodist Baptisms 1867 - 1973
Return to top of page

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Overton was assigned to the No. 1 ("Overton") sub-district of the Ellesmere Registration District, which was co-extensive with the Ellesmere poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Overton are in the format :

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Description and Travel

Overton-on-Dee - on wikipedia

Overton - on geograph.org.uk

Return to top of page

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

Population

Return to top of page

Statistics

Archdeacon Thomas (1911) gives the area of the parish of Overton as 4398 acres.
Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated   8 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI