By the third quarter of the nineteenth century, the Shotton district of the parish of Hawarden was becoming increasingly industrialised, with a rapidly increasing population.
A combined school and chapel was opened in 1875; and a new church was consecrated in 1902.
The Shotton area remained within the parish of Hawarden until 30 May 1921, when the new parish of Shotton was created, from parts of the townships of Shotton, Aston, Sealand and Saltney; all of which had been in the parish of Hawarden until that time.
For a map link to this place - see under Maps on Hawarden
"It is proposed to call the School-chapel after the name of St. Ethelwold, Bishop of Lindisfarne, an ancient Saxon saint, commemorated on the day of opening. .... The old school at Shotton, built by the liberality of Earl Spencer, had become totally unfit for the education of so large a district. It had done good work in its day, but was at the time small, damp and smoky."The first service was held in the School-chapel on 18 October 1875, at 7.00 p.m.
[From The Hawarden Parish Magazine of March 1875]
Following the opening of Hawarden Bridge Steelworks, there was a sudden increase in population; and in 1898 the decision was made to build a new district church.
The new church, also dedicated to St. Ethelwold, was consecrated on 7 August 1902.
"The church has accommodation for six hundred persons, and is built of mottled Hollington stone, the interior carving being finely chiseled. It consists of a large nave with piers and arches dividing it from north and south aisles, a roomy porch on the north aisle, chancel with an apsidal, and also a chapel on the north side of chancel, which will be used as vestries until the tower is built."The tower has never been built!
[From The Chester Chronicle of 9 August 1902]
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches See Connah's Quay and Hawarden.
|1902 - 1980||1902 - 1992||-|
It should be noted that until 1921, the ecclesiastical district of Shotton did not have specifically defined boundaries within the parish of Hawarden, and its parishioners had the option to be baptised or married in any church of the parish of Hawarden, subject to the consent of the incumbent. As Shotton church does not have a graveyard, burials usually took place at Hawarden, a practice which continued after Shotton became a separate parish.
When researching the years 1902 to 1921, a thorough search of all the registers of the parish of Hawarden, especially those of the parish church in Hawarden, is therefore advisable.
On the 1st January 1870, the Great Boughton registration district was re-structured, and re-named as Chester.
On 1 January 1903, the sub-district of Hawarden was upgraded to a Registration District in its own right.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Shotton are found under:
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Shotton - on wikipedia
Shotton photographs - on geograph.org.uk
History of Shotton site
Last Updated 8 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date