GENUKI Home page Flintshire county page Flintshire Flintshire parish index Parishes Contents Contents

 

Threapwood

"An extra-parochial district, said to be partly included in the hundred of Broxton, county of Chester, but chiefly in that of Maelor, county of Flint, 3 miles WSW from Malpas, containing 477 inhabitants. It is surrounded by the parishes of Malpas, Hanmer and Worthenbury, and, until of late years, formed a tract of waste common, which, on account of its extra-parochial exemption from all local jurisdiction, was long the resort of abandoned characters of every description, and especially of women of loose or blemished morals, who made a transient abode here, to be freed clandestinely from the consequences of illicit amours. ..... The inhabitants, considering themselves beyond the reach of all legal authority, opposed, even with force, the execution of the assize and other laws within their precinct. Some years ago, however, a chapel was erected here ....."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, S. Lewis, 1834]

Full details of the village and parish are to be found on the GENUKI Cheshire pages.

Late Victorian maps show the village of Threapwood as being partly in Flintshire (on the northern border of Maelor Saesneg), and partly in Cheshire. In 1896, under the "County of Chester (Threapwood) Order", the county boundary, which passes through the village, was adjusted slightly in favour of Cheshire.

The ecclesiastical parish of Threapwood was formed in 1817, from parts of the parishes of Worthenbury, in Flintshire, and Malpas, in Cheshire.
It was initially in the diocese of Chester, but was transferred to the diocese of St. Asaph, by an Order in Council, on 30 July 1849.
By order of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, it was transferred back to the diocese of Chester on 22 April 1920, shortly after the disestablishment of the Church in Wales.

An Order in Council, dated 26 August 1968, states :

"The area comprising the extra-parochial place of Threapwood shall become and be a separate and distinct parish for ecclesiastical purposes"

 

Church History

The church, dedicated to St. John, was built in 1816, and was consecrated by the Bishop of Chester on 8 January 1817.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers

Baptisms Marriages Burials
1817 - 1944 1837 - 1966 1829 - 1989

Bishop's Transcripts

Microfilmed copies of BT's
1817 - 1840
Return to top of page

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Threapwood was assigned to the No. 2 ("Malpas") sub-district of the Wrexham Registration District, which was co-extensive with the Wrexham poor law Union.

In 1896, the parish of Threapwood was transferred to Chester Registration District.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Threapwood are in the format :

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Threapwood - on wikipedia

Threapwood - on Vision of Britain

Population

Return to top of page

Statistics

Archdeacon Thomas (1908-1913) gives the area of the parish as 240 acres.
Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated   8 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.