"A township, in the parish of Malpas, union of Ellesmere, hundred of Maelor, county of Flint, 2½ miles WNW from Whitchurch; containing 515 inhabitants. This place is situated on the borders of Cheshire and Shropshire, and is the most eastern district in all Wales; it comprises an area of 2600 acres. The road from Whitchurch to Wrexham passes through the township, and the Wich brook, which falls into the River Dee near Worthenbury, bounds it to the north. ...
In the township is Whitewell Chapel, about four miles and a half from Malpas, in which divine service is performed twice every Sunday."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, S. Lewis, 1849]
The parish of Whitewell lies entirely in Flintshire, occupying the north-eastern portion of Maelor Saesneg, the detached part of Flintshire. However, for ecclesiastical purposes, it has always been associated with Malpas, Cheshire; and it is in the Diocese of Chester.
The parish is also known as Iscoyd (or Iscoed).
It should not be confused with the Denbighshire parish of Isycoed, which lies a few miles to the north-west, nor with the Flintshire (Maelor Saesneg) parish of Bangor Isycoed.
They are three quite distinct and separate parishes.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Flint - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Iscoyd :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Not named - Higher Wych||Primitive Methodist||70|
|Not named - Lower Wych||Primitive Methodist||67|
In 1853, the parish was transferred to the Whitchurch Registration District.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for xx are in the format :
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Iscoed - on Vision of Britain
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Last Updated 8 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date