Worthenbury is situated in the northern part of Maelor Saesneg, the detached part of Flintshire. It is an extensive area of fertile farmland. For more than 600 years, life in the village of Worthenbury was dominated by the Puleston family, who were the squires of the nearby Emral Hall. Worthenbury was originally a parochial chapelry in the parish of Bangor Is-coed. In 1658, during the Commonwealth Period, it was designated as a parish in its own right - but in 1661, after the Restoration, this was declared invalid. In 1689, Sir Roger Puleston obtained an Act of Parliament, and Worthenbury again became a separate parish. It was in the diocese of Lichfield until 1541, when it was transferred to the newly created diocese of Chester. In 1849, it was transferred to the diocese of St. Asaph, where it remains.
Harrison, Sunter. The four baronets of Emral and Emral Hall, Worthenbury, North Wales Wrexham [Wales] : The Author, 1974.
Harrison, Sunter. Worthenbury Church, Emral Chapel and the Pulestons Wrexham : Mrs Sunter Harrison, [c1990]
Henry, Matthew. Memoirs of the life and death of the Rev. Philip Henry, some time the minister of the Gospel at Worthenbury, and afterward at Broad-Oak, who died June 24, 1696, in the 65th year of his age New ed., corr. and improved London : Printed by T. Cordeux ; sold by T. Blanshard ; at the Methodist Preaching House in town and country, 1818.
Jones, Kath. Wonderful Worthenbury Country Quest, June 2008, p. 8-9
Puleston, Dorothy. The Crane family of Worthenbury and London Clwyd Historian = Hanes Bro Clwyd. No. 13 (Spring 1986), p. 19-20
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 419462.
The earliest recorded reference to a church at Worthenbury dates from 1388. The church was completely rebuilt in 1739, and the interior still retains many of its Georgian features. Many experts consider it to be the finest example of a Georgian church in the whole of Wales. The church is dedicated to St. Deiniol.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches"Welsh Church Commission - County of Flint - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"does not list any nonconformist places of worship for the Civilparish of Worthenbury.
The following Parish Registers have been deposited at Flintshire Record Office, Hawarden. They may be viewed on microfilm at the Flintshire Record Office, the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin, and the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth. These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
1597 - 1749
1755 - 1936
1598 - 1749
1754 - 1970
1597 - 1749
1755 - 1939
Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
1597 - 1813
1598 - 1820
1597 - 1812
Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the Cheshire Record Office, Chester.
In 1990, these Bishop's Transcripts were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Flintshire and Cheshire Record Offices.
Microfilmed copies of BT's
1599 - 1806
Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Flintshire and Denbighshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
Deposited at the National Library of Wales
1850 - 1876
1850 - 1876
The following have been incorporated into the I.G.I., as part of an "official extraction" programme.
They were extracted from the Bishop's Transcripts, not from the Parish Registers.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Worthenbury was assigned to the No. 2 ("Malpas") sub-district of the Wrexham Registration District, which was co-extensive with the Wrexham poor law Union.
On 30 September 1896, the parish of Worthenbury was transferred to the No. 1 ("Overton") sub-district of Ellesmere Registration District.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Worthenbury are in the format :
Years 1837 - 1851: Wrexham XXVII. nnn
Years 1851 - 1896: Wrexham 11b. nnn
Years 1896 - 1930: Ellesmere 6a. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ420461 (Lat/Lon: 53.009036, -2.865888), Worthenbury which are provided by: