"This parish, which is situated on the roads from Denbigh to Mold and Holywell, comprises a very considerable tract of good arable and pasture land, which is enclosed and cultivated; and a portion of hilly ground, which is too elevated for culture. .... The village, which is small, is seated on an eminence, commanding some finely varied and extensive prospects; and the surrounding scenery presents many interesting features.
Lead abounds in the parish, and several mines, which had been worked for many years with great advantage, have been recently discontinued, in consequence of the present low price of the metal. ....
On the high ground in this parish are the remains of a Roman encampment; and at Bryn Sion was found, in the year 1816, a very beautiful torque of pure gold, measuring fifty-two inches in length, and weighing twenty-four ounces; which was purchased by the Marquis of Westminster for three hundred guineas."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, S. Lewis, 1834]
Ysceifiog is one of the "ancient parishes" of Flintshire. It originally comprised the eight townships of Batingen, Garneddwen, Gellilyfdy, Pen Ucha'r Plwy, Prys (or Prysau), Trefraith, Tre'r Llan Isaf and Tre'r Llan Uchaf.
On 27 June 1848, parts of the townships of Garneddwen, Tre'r Llan Uchaf and Pen Ucha'r Plwy went to the new parish of Rhesycae.
On 19 August 1853, part of the township of Gellilyfdy went to the new parish of Gorsedd.
In 1854, parts of the townships of Pen Ucha'r Plwy and Prys went to the new parish of Brynford.