"This parish rises for the most part gradually from the shore of the wide æstuary of the Dee, by which it is bounded on the east and north-east, into hills of considerable elevation. ..... The village, which is of small size, but contains several neat houses, is pleasantly situated at no great distance from the Chester and Holyhead road, and near the head of a small valley, which, deepening in its course, stretches towards the sea, having its sides beautifully fringed with woods."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, S. Lewis, 1834]
Whitford is one of the "ancient parishes" of Flintshire. It originally comprised the nine townships of Bychton, Ednywain (or Trefednywain), Maesbledrys, Mertyn Isglan, Mertyn Uwch Glan, Tre'rabad, Tre'r Llan (or Whitford Lan), Tre Mostyn and Whitford Garn.
On 23 May 1844, it lost the townships of Bychton and Mertyn Isglan, and part of the township of Tre Mostyn, to the newly created parish of Mostyn.
On 19 August 1853, part of the township of Mertyn Uwch Glan was lost to the new parish of Gorsedd.