"ABER AFAN, in the Cwmwd of Rhwng Nedd ac Afan, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Neath), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Vicarage, with the Curacy of Baglan, valued in the King's Books at £9.4.9 1/2: Patron, Lord Vernon: Church dedicated to St. Mary. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 275. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £16.19.10 1/2. It is 6 m. S. b. E. from Neath. There is no Charter for a Market here, but one has been holden, for about a century past. The Fair is on the 30th of April. This is one of the contributary Boroughs with Caerdiff, which send one Member to Parliament. The Corporation consists of a Portrieve, who is elected annually, of Aldermen and Burgesses. This Parish contains about 1510 acres of land. The Castle is in ruins. It is situate at the entrance of the river Afan, upon the Bristol Channel: and has some great Copper-works in the neighborhood. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from the great Tythes which are taken in kind, and Glebe, was £ 28.13.10." (From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.)
The church is dedicated to St. Mary, is in the Benefice of Aberavon, and Diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be found at grid reference SS763903.
Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Aberavon Borough, records 1753-1860 & c.1307-1917 "Aberavon, Glamorgan, was a chartered town established by the Avene family during the 12th century. In 1372 Aberavon received a further charter from Edward Le Despenser, ................... Borough government was reformed under the Municipal Corporations Act 1835, with the provision of elected councils and improved financial regulation. In 1921 the Borough of Aberavon merged with Margam Urban District Council to form the Borough of Port Talbot ......................."