GENUKI Home Page   AberdareAberdare Contents Contents

Aberdare

Chapels database

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This Aberdare database compiled by Gareth Hicks with contributions from

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Gareth's Help Page )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

Sources

 Additional

NB

 

Baptist

Beulah Baptist chapel, Llanddewi St/Regent St, Aberaman

  • Beulah Baptist chapel, Aberaman                    300 sittings              Rev William Edward Harries   1910  (9)
  • Beulah English Baptist chapel, Llanddewi St/Regent St, Aberaman     SO01430112    Built in 1890, still in use in 1998     (10)

Gwawr Baptist chapel, Regent St, Aberaman

  • Gwawr Baptist chapel, Aberaman           Rev Thomas Davies   1895  (8)         900 sittings and Rev William Thomas Francis in 1910  (9)
  • Gwawr Baptist chapel, Regent St, Aberaman   SO01230136    Built in 1848/9, rebuilt/modified 1871, rebuilt/modified again in 1893   (10)
  • Gwawr Welsh Baptist, Jubilee Rd, Godreaman has records at Glamorgan Record Office
  •  
  • "The Welsh Baptist Church at Aberaman had 189 members in 1925, in 1955  only 66 members,  in 1963    42 ."
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)                     [right place ?]
  • Gwawr  Baptist, Abergwawr       Erected in 1849                Dewi Bevan Jones, minister, Aberamman             1851  (13)

Ynysllwyd Welsh Baptist chapel, Cardiff Rd/Sunnybank St, Aberaman

  • Ynysllwyd Welsh Baptist chapel, Cardiff Rd                800 sittings             Rev R Ellis Williams    1895  (8) and 1910  (9)
  • Ynyslwyd Welsh Baptist chapel, Sunnybank St, Aberaman         SO00830197   Built in 1862 and rebuilt/modified in 1867, still in use in 1994    (10)                                 (same place ?)

Bethesda Welsh Baptist chapel, John St, Abercwmboi

  • Bethesda Baptist chapel, Abercwmboi        400 sittings        Rev M Jenkins   1910  (9)    and Rev Mathias Jenkins in 1910  (9)
  • Bethesda Welsh Baptist chapel, John St, Abercwmboi   ST02639986    Built in 1864 with modifications in 1906, still in use in 2002     (10)

Carmel Baptist chapel, Monk St, Aberdare

  • Baptist chapel, Aberdare             Rev. T. B. Price            Slaters Directory for 1858-1859    (6)
  • 1810, November 9; Baptist; a house called Carmel; Rees Jones, Minister, Lewis Richard, Howel Evan, David Lewis, Richard Thomas, Morgan Morgan, William Lewis  (7)
  • Undated (endorsed: 1807, November 28); Particular Baptist; a house called Carmel; William Rees, Lewis Richard, Thomas Morgan    (7)  
  • Carmel Baptist, Monk St, Aberdare                  600 sittings                Rev Thomas Jones   1895  (8)
  • Carmel Baptist, Monk St, Aberdare                  700 sittings                Rev Arthur B Kinsey   1910  (9)
  • See extended text  history of this chapel below - this is based on a reading of Chapels of the Cynon Valley by Alan Vernon Jones. Cynon Valley History Society 2004
  • Banner of Carmel English Baptist Sunday school on People's Collection Wales site   (use on -site search box)
  • Has records at Glamorgan Record Office
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg
  • Carmel Particular Baptist, Pen-y-pound      "First erected in 1812, enlarged in 1832 on present site ..... our chapel now much too small.... erecting a new chapel and large school room .... we will occupy new chapel on 30 Sept 1851 ..... cost of erection will be £1200"             Thomas Price, minister, Rose Cottage, Aberdare.     1851  (13)

Nazareth English Baptist Sunday Schools, Aberdare

Calvaria /Calfaria Welsh Baptist, Monk St, Aberdare

  • Glamorgan FHS - the publications lists etc     MIs   (5)
  • Calfaria Welsh Baptist, Monk St, Aberdare                 1000 (850) sittings           Rev James Griffiths  1895  (8) and (9)
  • Banner of Calvaria Sunday school on the  People's Collection Wales site   (use on -site search box)
  • Has records at Glamorgan Record Office
  • "Calfaria Baptist Church, Aberdare, where the Rev. Dr. Thomas Price ministered, had a thousand members in 1862; by 1871   471, 1925 slightly down to 395, and thirty years afterwards the membership was 200 (1955). In 1961 the church had 183 members and 168 in 1963."
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12) 
  • " What would have happened to the Welsh Baptists in the Aberdare Valley without the charismatic figure of Dr. Thomas Price? When he was first ordained as minister of Calfaria Baptist Church, Aberdare, in 1846, there were only 91 members, including a number at Mountain Ash. In 1847 he arranged special missions to Abernant, Heolyfelin and Aberaman with 121 members; 1852 Carmel (English cause) with 58, and, in 1855, Mountain Ash with 89 members.After Jubilee meetings held in 1862, Calfaria allowed 163 members to form a Church at Bethel, Abernant, and at Ynyslwyd with 31 members; also at Gadlys in 1869 with 49 members. Dr. Price was responsible for building seven chapels, three schools, and forming eight churches."
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)  

Soar/Orab Welsh Baptist, Aberdare  ?

  • 1842, December 19; Welsh Baptist; a building called, Orab Chapel; Jonathan Jones of the parish of Aberdare, coal weigher                        (7)   
  • 1842, December 19: Welsh Baptist; a building called Soar Chapel; Jonathan Jones of the parish of Aberdare, coal weigher                       (7)

Bethel Welsh Baptist chapel, Abernant Rd, Abernant y Groes (Abernant)

  • 1841, April 6; Baptist; a building called Abernant y Groes; William Lewis, William Howells, John Eynon, Solomon Lewis    (7)
  • Abernant Baptist chapel, Abernant                         Rev John Mills    1895  (8)
  • Bethel Welsh Baptist chapel, Abernant                 700 sittings           1910  (9)
  • Bethel Welsh Baptist chapel, Abernant Rd, Abernant            SO01330351     Built in 1856 and rebuilt/modified in 1862 and in 1895, still in use in 1994     (10)
  • Particular Baptist, Abernant y Groes            Erected in 1840           "The parcel of ground on which the chapel is built has been bequeathed to the church by William Thomas Davies."                        John David Williams, minister, Cwmbach                         1851  (13)
  • "The Baptist Church at Abernant has seen a catastrophic drop in members in the last forty years; a rapid decline from 398 in 1925 to 165 in 1955, 161 in 1961, and 137 in 1963."
     (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12) 

Bethesda Welsh Baptist chapel, Cap Coch

  • Bethesda Welsh Baptist chapel, Cap Coch            

Sion/Seion Welsh Baptist chapel, Cwmneol Place, Cwmaman

  • Sion Welsh Baptist chapel, Cwmneol Place, Cwmaman        Rev Thomas H Humphreys   1895  (8)    and 1910  with 750 sittings    Rev Thomas H Humphreys    (9)
  • Seion Welsh Baptist chapel, Cwmneol, Cwmaman     ST00379955       Built in 1861, still in use in 1994   (10)
  • "Seion, Cwmaman, built in 1861, ten years afterwards had 76 members, by 1925   398,  in 1955  declined to 214, by 1961 to 188, 169 in 1963."
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)
  •  
  • Anon. Eglwys y Bedyddwyr, Seion Cwmaman : Canmlwyddiant yr achos 1859-1959 [Seion Baptist church, Cwmaman: the centenary of the cause 1859-1959]. Aberdār, 1959.

Trinity English Baptist chapel, Prospect Place/Milton St, Cwmaman

  • Trinity English Baptist, Cwmaman                             50 sittings              Rev A T Phillips   1910  (9)
  • Trinity English Baptist chapel, Prospect Place, Milton St, Cwmaman    ST00289957      Built in 1902, not still in use pre 1998    (10)

Bethania Welsh Baptist chapel, Bethania Place, Cwmbach

  • Bethania Baptist chapel, Cwmbach             Rev David Thomas   1895  (8)      and Rev Joseph James 800 sittings in 1910  (9)
  • Bethania Welsh Baptist chapel, Bethania Place, Cwmbach     SO02310165    Built in 1858 and rebuilt/modified in 1875 and in 1893, repaired in 1950, still in use in 1994     (10)
  • "Baptist Church at Cwmbach, in 1925 there were 314 members, in 1955  140, in 1960  100
     (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)

Nebo Baptist chapel, Dare Rd, Cwmdare

  • Nebo Baptist chapel, Dare Rd, Cwmdare                     Rev William Thomas   1895   (8)    and  Rev W A Jones   750 sittings   1910    (9)
  • Nebo Welsh Baptist chapel, Cwmdare Rd, Cwmdare     SN98190337   Built  in 1867, demolished pre 1998   (10)

Baptist chapel, Hirwaun

  • Baptist, Hirwaun                  Rev. Benjn. Evans              Slaters Directory for 1858-1859    (6)   
  • Baptist chapel, Foundry Rd, Hirwaun        SN95590548    (10)                     (same place ?)

Siloam (Siloah) Welsh Baptist chapel, Pontbren Llwyd, Penderyn, (near Hirwaun)

  • Siloam (Siloah) Welsh Baptist chapel, Pontbren Llwyd, Penderyn, (near Hirwaun)     SN95060809   Built in 1823/4 with extension & rebuilding in 1857-8, still in use in 2001       (10)
  • Siloam Particular Baptist, Penderin              Erected c 1823      Daniel Evans, minister, Penderin              1851  (13)

Ramoth Particular Baptist chapel, Trevenock Place, Hirwaun

  • Undated (endorsed; received 1826, June 15); Particular Baptist; a meeting house called Ramoth; William JONES, Thomas HOPKINS, Thomas JONES, John RICHARD, Isaac FRANCIS    (7)
  • There is a book by Evans, Alexander S. Hanes Eglwys Ramoth Hirwaun o'i chychwyniad hyd ddiwedd 1911. Blaenau Ffestiniog : Argraffwyd dros y cyhoeddwyr gan J.D. Davies & Co., 1913.    (3)
  • Ramoth Welsh Baptist chapel, Trevenock Place, Hirwaun   SN95870556   Built in 1825/6, rebuilt/modified in 1837, rebuilt/modified again 1867, further modified 1894. Closed 1986 but reopened 1994, still in use in 2002  (10)
  • Ramoth Baptist, Hirwain         Erected in 1825                Benjamin Evans, minister, Hirwain       1851  (13)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • The Ramoth Particular Baptist chapel at Hirwaun, Glamorgan, was registered as a place of worship on the 15 June 1826. It closed in 1986

Zoar Welsh Baptist chapel, Llwydcoed

  • Welsh Baptist chapel, Llwydcoed                                  Rev Daniel Jones   1895   (8)
  • Zoar Welsh Baptist chapel, Llwydcoed                         400 sittings               1910  (9)
  • Soar Welsh Baptist chapel, Kingsbury Place, Llwydcoed       SN99280484        Built in 1859 and rebuilt/modified in 1873, closed early 1980s.              (10)

Bethel Baptist chapel, Penderin

  • Bethel Baptist chapel, Penderin     "Erected before 1800; building not used exclusively as a place of worship"   David Davies, Abernant      1851  (13)

Heol-y-felin Welsh Baptist chapel, Bell St, Trecynon

  • Welsh Baptist chapel, Bell St, Trecynon                 900 sittings                  Rev William Harris   1895  (8)  and Rev W Cynog Williams   1000 sittings      1910  (9)
  • Heol-y-felin Welsh Baptist chapel, Bell St, Trecynon               SN99480361   Built in 1852, rebuilt/modified in 1883 and extensively remodelled in 1893, further alterations in 1904/5, still in use in 1994    (10)

Gadlys Welsh Baptist chapel, Chapel St/Railway St, Trecynon

  • Gadly's Welsh Baptist chapel, Chapel St               700 sittings                   Rev Benj Evans  1895  (8)
  • Gadlys Welsh Baptist chapel, Chapel St                700 sittings            Rev Robert Gwenffrwd  Hughes    1910  (9)
  • Gadlys Welsh Baptist chapel, Railway St, Trecynon     SN99790315   Built in 1864 and rebuilt/modified in 1898 and 1903, closed 1970s.      (10)

Noddfa Welsh Baptist chapel, Mount Pleasant St, Trecynon

  • Noddfa Welsh Baptist chapel, Mount Pleasant St, Trecynon    SN99510354   Built in 1905, still in use in 1994  (10)
  • Banner of Noddfa Baptists Sunday school, Trecynon on the People's Collection Wales site   (use on -site search box)
  • Has records at Glamorgan Record Office

 

Congregationalist

Independents in Aberdare parish;-  

  • " The career of the Independents commenced, it will be remembered, simultaneously with the Calvinistic Methodists, in 1799.  They worshipped for a considerable time in a small cottage fitted up with a pulpit and benches. In 1811, however, the chapel at Trecynon, Ebenezer, was built. In 1826 the number of members at that place was only 26. But it rapidly increased, and became the "mother church" to almost the whole of the other chapels of that denomination throughout the valley. Ebenezer was enlarged in 1852 and a capacious hall erected close at hand, for the use of the Sunday School, in 1860. The Rev. D. Rees of Swansea spent a few of the earlier years of his ministry here; being followed by the Rev. William Edwards who laboured here for 41 years - from 1843 to 1884. In 1823, Nebo, Hirwaun, was erected, and has been twice enlarged since then. In 1841, Salem, Roberts' Town was built; Siloa near the Town Hall following in 1844."                                   From the Aberdare Illustrated Almanack, 1901      [14  Delyth Wilson]

Bethany Congregational chapel, Victoria Terrace, Aberaman

  • Bethany Congregational chapel, Victoria Terrace, Aberaman  -  Details of extant records at Glamorgan Archives   (4)
  • Bethany Ind chapel, Aberaman                       Rev John Thomas Rhys   1910  (9)
  • Bethany Ind chapel, Aberaman   SO0101   Chapel built in 1855 and rebuilt/modified in ca. 1860 and 1898   (10)
  • Has records at Glamorgan Records Office

Tabernacle Ind chapel, Duke St, Aberaman  

Saron Welsh Independent chapel, Davis St, Aberaman

  • Saron Welsh Independent chapel, Aberdare    Built in 1848, still open in 1992   (1)
  • Glamorgan FHS - the publications lists etc     MIs   (5)
  • Saron Welsh Ind chapel, Aberaman               Rev Henry P Jenkins       1895  (8)  and with 900 sittings in 1910  (9)
  • Saron Welsh Ind chapel, Davis St, Aberaman      SO01260150   Cause began in 1846 and chapel built in 1848 with modifications in 1850, 1856 & 1890   (10)  
  • Has records at Glamorgan Records Office
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (April 2009)
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

Ysgoldy Saron Ind (Siloa) chapel, Cardiff St, Aberaman

  • Ysgoldy Saron Ind (Siloa) chapel, Cardiff St, Aberaman     SO01620113   Still in use in 1997    (10)

Bethlehem Welsh  Ind chapel, John St, Abercwmboi

  • Bethlehem Welsh  Ind chapel, John St, Abercwmboi         750 sittings          Rev Joshua Bowen Davies   1910  (9)
  • Bethlehem Ind chapel, Abercwmboi   ST0299   Built in 1860, rebuilt/modified in 1876 and 1900, still in use in 1995  (10)
  • Bethlehem, Abercwmboi declined from 336 members in 1904 to 143 in 1954
     (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (April 2009)

Bethel Welsh Ind chapel, Chapel St, Aberdare

  • Bethel Welsh Ind chapel, Chapel St, Aberdare        500 sittings              Rev Hy Thomas Jacob    1895  (8)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (April 2009)

Ebenezer Independent chapel, Aberdare

  • Ebenezer Welsh Independent chapel, Aberdare     Built in 1804     (1)
  • Glamorgan FHS - the publications lists etc     PRs  (5)
  • "Between 1819 and 1813, the Welsh Independents had three meeting houses licensed, namely, the New Chapel in 1810, Ebenezer in 1811 and a 'building situate near Hirwaun Common in 1813 ' " ( Morgannwg 1874 quoted in D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (April 2009)

Nebo Independent chapel, Aberdare

  •  Nebo Welsh Independent chapel, Aberdare         (1)
  • Glamorgan FHS - the publications lists etc     PRs (5)
  • 1823, November 20; Independent; a house called Nebo; Joseph Harrison, David Jenkins, John Harrison, Thomas Harrison    (7)
New Chapel Independent, Aberdare 
  • 1810, October 13; Independent; a house called New Chapel; David William, Minister, William Pugh, Thomas Pugh, Mosses Hugs, Mark Gray, David Jones   (7)
  • Between 1819 and 1813, the Welsh Independents had three meeting houses licensed, namely, the New Chapel in 1810, Ebenezer in 1811 and a 'building situate near Hirwaun Common in 1813 ' " ( Morgannwg 1874 quoted in D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)

Salem Independent chapel, Aberdare

  • Salem Welsh Independent chapel, Aberdare      (1)
  • Glamorgan FHS - the publications lists etc     PRs  (5)
  • 1837, April 20; Independent; a house called Salem; Evan Thomas, Lewis Thomas, David Richards and William Edward, elders, Jonah Walters, Benjamin Lewis, Joseph Harrison, John Pugh, 'diacon', David Jenkins, John Harrison, Eustace Richards (it is uncertain exactly to whom the description 'elders' is intended to apply)    (7)
  • Salem Independent              Erected in 1842               John Harrison, Elder, Gadlys      1851  (13)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (April 2009)
  • Salem Ind chapel, Tresalem, Aberdare - Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)   [right place?]

Siloah Welsh Independent chapel, Green St, Aberdare

  • Siloah Welsh Independent chapel, Aberdare    Built in 1845, still open in 1992       (1)
  • Siloa  Welsh Ind chapel, Green St, Aberdare         1000 sittings        Rev D Silyn Evans    1895  (8)     and 300 (?) sittings in 1910  (9)
  • Siloa Welsh Ind chapel (Capel-yr-Annibynwyr), Green St,    SN99990259  Built in 1844/5 and rebuilt/modified in 1855, 1875 & 1903, still in use in 1998    (10)
  • "........... Siloa Congregational Church, Aberdare had 661 members in 1899, by 1907 it had gone up to 761, but by 1923  decline had started, and  membership was 645. When the Rev. R. I. Parry was ordained in 1933, Siloa numbered 501, but by 1954 there were 363 members, and by 1964 had decreased to 191. "
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)           (12)
  • Siloa Congregationalist           Erected in 1844   David Price, minister        1851  (13)
  • Siloa Ind, Aberdare - Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (April 2009)
  • "We find in the Aberdare Valley that the location of the mines has been associated to a great extent with the location of the Nonconformist chapels. A Congregationalist minister, Rev. D. Silyn Evans, in his biography (Evans, 1896, p. 37) of Rev. David Price (1811 - 1878), has shown how the growth of their denomination in the Aberdare Valley developed hand in hand with the opening of the mines "  ;-
" At the beginning of the public ministry of Mr. Price in Siloa, a number of large works were opened - the colliery of the Aberdare Coal Company, the colliery of Messrs. Williams and Lewis, the colliery of Llety Shenkyn, the colliery at Blaengwawr, the iron works at Aberaman, the colliery at Werfa, the colliery at Ysguborwen, and a number of other large and small collieries"
(D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)

Zoar (Soar) Welsh Independent chapel, Wind St, Aberdare

  • 1843, March 22; Welsh Independent; a building called Zoar Chapel; David Price of the parish of Aberdare, collier  (7)
  • Soar Welsh Ind chapel, Wind St, Aberdare                          600 sittings            Rev John Davies   1895  (8)    and  480 sittings with no minister mentioned in    1910   (9)
  • Soar Ind chapel, Wind St, Aberdare            SO00460223        First built in 1858, rebuilt/modified in 1891 and in 1905    (10)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh)  - with translation by Gareth Hicks (April 2009)

Tabernacle English Congregational chapel, Duke St/Station St, Aberdare

  • There is a book by D.M. Richards: History of the Tabernacle English Congregational church, Aberdare, (Aberdare, 1893), 63pp.     (2)
  • Glamorgan FHS - the publications lists etc   (5)
  • Tabernacle Ind chapel, Station St, Aberdare            600 (650) sittings               Rev Wm Edward Thomas   1895  (8)   and  1910 with no minister mentioned (9)
  • Tabernacle Ind chapel, Duke St, Station St, Aberdare   SO00470251   Built in 1839 and rebuilt/modified in 1857/9 and 1875, demolished in 1973    (10)
  • Has records at Glamorgan Record Office
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (April 2009)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Tabernacle English Congregational Church, Aberdare, records    "Tabernacle English Congregational Church, Aberdare, minutes books of deaconate and church meetings, 1913-1922; minutes book of Sunday School meetings, 1917-1967; annual statements of account of Tabernacle Sunday School, 1932-1939; minute book of monthly church meetings, 1953-1968; and centenary booklet, 1957."

Bethesda Welsh Ind chapel, Windsor Terrace, Abernant Rd, Abernant

  • Bethesda Welsh Ind chapel, Abernant               Rev Isaac J Evans   1895   (8)       and with 300 sittings in 1910  (9)
  • Bethesda Welsh Ind chapel, Windsor Terrace, Abernant Rd, Abernant     SO01320349     Built in 1860, rebuilt/modified in 1878 and 1906, still in use in 1992     (10)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (April 2009)

Bethlehem Welsh Ind chapel, John St, Cap Coch

  • Bethlehem Welsh Ind chapel, John St, Cap Coch                                 Rev Jonah Davies   1895  (8)

Bryn Moriah Ind chapel, Cwmaman

  • Bryn Moriah Ind chapel, Cwmaman             ST0099           (10)
  • See also   Capeli (2004 list of chapels under threat)

Moriah Aman Welsh Ind chapel, Forchaman St/Rd, Cwmaman

  • Moriahaman Welsh Ind chapel, Forchaman St, Cwmaman                 Rev Henry Aaron Davies   1895  (8)
  • Moriah Aman Welsh Ind chapel, Fforchaman Rd, Cwmaman             780 sittings         1910  (9)
  • Moriah Aman Pentecostal (Independent Pentecostal), Fforchaman Rd, Cwmaman    ST00489968   Built in 1855 and rebuilt/modified in1861 and 1893, still in use in 1994    (10)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (April 2009)

Bryn Sion (Seion) Welsh Independent chapel, Sion Terrace/ Tirfounder Rd, Cwm-bach

  • Welsh Independent chapel, Cwm-bach              Built in 1846              (1)
  • There is a book by D.E. Williams: " Y can mlynedd hyn", 1845-1945: cipdrem ar hanes eglwys Bryn Seion, Cwmbach, (Aberdār, 1945), 32tt.
  • Bryn Sion Welsh Ind chapel, Sion Terrace, Cwmbach                   Rev David Morgan Davies          1895          (8)
  • Bryn Sion Welsh Ind chapel, Sion Terrace, Cwmbach      750 sittings          Rev D Ffrwdwen Davies         1910  (9)
  • Bryn Seion Ind chapel, Tirfounder Rd, Cwmbach     SO02370155   Built in 1846-7, rebuilt in 1852-3, 1857-8, rebuilt 1889, still in use in 1998        (10)
  • Bryn Sion Independent, Cwmbach                Erected in 1846                     John Lloyd, minister      1851  (13)
  • There's an article on Bryn Seion Chapel Cwmbach, including a photograph, in Alan Vernon Jones's 'Chapels of the Cynon Valley', published by the Cynon Valley History Society in 2004. ISBN 0-9531076-1-2  [Deric John]
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (April 2009)

Elim Welsh Ind chapel, Bwllfa Rd, Cwmdare

  • Elim Welsh Ind chapel, Cwmdare           Rev David Griffiths   1895  (8)              and Rev James Jones  600 sittings 1910  (9)
  • Elim Welsh Ind chapel, Bwllfa Rd, Cwmdare   SN97970324   Built in 1859 and enlarged in 1867, rebuilt/modified in 1902, still in use in 1994     (10)
  • Has records at Glamorgan Record Office
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Mary Jane Stephenson (April 2008)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Glamorgan Welsh Congregational Church marriage registers     Including  "  ........Elim Congregational Church, Bwllfa Road, Cwmdare, 1923-1996...."

Bethany Welsh Ind chapel, Godreaman

  • Bethany Welsh Ind chapel, Godreaman                  600 sittings                1910  (9)

Noddfa Welsh Ind chapel (United Reformed Church), Cwmaman Rd, Godreaman

  • Noddfa Ind chapel, Godreaman            476 sittings              Rev Thomas Thomas   1910  (9)
  • Noddfa Welsh Ind chapel (United Reformed Church), Cwmaman Rd, Godreaman   SO01270053     Built in 1900, not still in use pre 1994     (10)

Nebo Welsh Independent chapel, Merthyr Rd, Hirwaun

  • Nebo Welsh Independent chapel, Hirwaun     Built in 1823, still open in 1992   (1)
  • Independent, Hirwaun                     Rev William Williams      Slaters Directory for 1858-1859    (6)  (same place ?)
  • Nebo Welsh Ind chapel, Merthyr Rd, Hirwaun     SN95890551   Built in 1823 and enlarged in 1830, rebuilt/modified in 1836, 1851 and in ca.1890, still in use in 1996    (10)
  • Records  for Nebo, High St, Hirwaun at at Glamorgan Record Office
  • Nebo Hirwaun Ironworks Independent - has records at Glamorgan Record Office
  • Nebo Independent, Hirwaun     Erected in 1821       David Evan Williams. Deacon. Bristol House, Hirwaun.   1851  (13)
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (April 2009)
  • "Huge efforts are being made to restore Nebo, one of the oldest chapels in the valley. Members are appealing for support in raising the money needed to upgrade the building. It is more than 180 years old and is now in a poor state of repair.Despite its poor condition, it is still used every week for Sunday services.Steeped in history, Merthyr Tydfil ironmaster William Crawshay had his twin daughters christened there. Nebo is a Grade II listed building and is a perfect example of the architecture and design of its era"  [Feb 2006]               (GH 14)
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

Mount Pleasant English Congregational chapel, Harris St, Hirwaun

  • There is a book; Mount Pleasant English Congregational Church, Hirwaun: centenary celebrations 1866-1966, (Aberdare, 1966), 8pp.    (2)
  • Mount Pleasant English Ind chapel, Harris St, Hirwaun       SN95820543     Built in 1868 (1865?), still in use in 2001  (10)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (April 2009)

Tabernacle Ind chapel, Harris St, Hirwaun

  • Tabernacle Ind chapel, Harris St, Hirwaun      SN95840544   Built in 1857 and rebuilt/enlarged in 1859, rebuilt/modified again in 1875, demolished by 1990s    (10)

Zoar/Soar Ind chapel, Chapel Rd, Penderyn (near Hirwaun)

  • Zoar/Soar Ind chapel, Chapel Rd, Penderyn (near Hirwaun)            SN94820888   Cause began in 1859, chapel built that year, extended in 1874, not still in use by 1994    (10)

Horeb Welsh Independent chapel, Horeb Terrace, Llwydcoed

  • Horeb Welsh Ind chapel, Llwydcoed          Rev Wm Samlet Davies   1895  (8)    and with 480 sittings in  1910  (9)
  • There is a book by Thomas Williams: Eglwysi Annibynol plwyf Aberdār: atgofion hanner can mlynedd. Anerchiad a draddodwyd o'r gadair mewn cyfarfod chwarterol a gynhaliwyd yn Horeb, Llwydcoed, Ionawr 23ain, 1883, ac a gyhoeddir ar gais y cyfarfod, (Aberdār, c.1883), 12tt.   (2)
  • Horeb Welsh Ind chapel, Horeb Terrace, Llwydcoed         SN99230517        Built in 1859 and rebuilt/modified in 1911, still in use in 1994     (10)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (April 2009)
  •  
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006) but shown as  'for sale' on agent's site (Rowland Jones, Swansea) in Dec 2010
     "The property comprises the main two storey chapel building and a single storey vestry building attached to the rear which also has a side extension providing the rear access and WC. Internally, the chapel premises comprise an entrance lobby leading to the main congregation room and two side staircases leading to the first floor gallery seating area. The main congregational room has the original fitted pews and pulpit. Externally, there is a small forecourt surrounded by a stone wall and gate."

Mountain of Zion Independent chapel

  • Mountain of Zion Independent chapel      "Part of dwelling house, erected in 1851 "   Daniel Rowland, Deacon, Mountain Ash   1851  (13)

Cana Ind chapel, Gwladys St, Penywaun

  • Cana Ind chapel, Gwladys St, Penywaun       SN97710454      Built in 1892, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1907, closed 1994.      (10)
  • Has records at Glamorgan Record Office
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

Salem Congregational chapel, Bridge St, Robertstown

  • Salem Welsh Ind, Bridge St, Robertstown            700 sittings        Rev JJD Rees    1895  (8)   and 600 sittings in 1910 with no minister mentioned  (9)
  • Salem Ind chapel, Bridge St, Robertstown, Tresalem     SO00160342      Timber chapel first built in 1836/7 and enlarged? in 1846, rebuilt/modified in 1853? and 1890/1 and remodelled again in 1899. Sunday Scool added 1900. Still in use in 1994             (10)
  • Has records at Glamorgan Record Office
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Bethel Welsh Ind chapel, Railway St, Gadlys, Tudor Terrace, Heol-y-felin, Trecynon

  • Bethel Welsh Ind chapel, Railway St, Gadlys, Tudor Terrace, Heol-y-felin, Trecynon     SN99770317     Built  in 1860 and rebuilt/modified in ca.1900 and in 1910, not still in use pre 1994     (10)

 Ebenezer Welsh Congregational Chapel, Heol-y-Felin/Ebenezer St/Mount Pleasant, Trecynon          

  • There is a book; Ebenezer Welsh Congregational Church, Trecynon, Aberdare: re-opening services after complete renovation and enlargement, (Aberdare, 1902), 15pp.    (2)
  • Glamorgan FHS - the publications lists etc     MIs   (5)
  • Ebenezer Welsh Ind chapel, Ebenezer St, Trecynon       Rev John Grawys Jones    1895  (8)     and with 650 sittings 1910 (9)
  •  Ebenezer Welsh Ind chapel, Ebenezer St, Mount Pleasant/Heolyfelin,Trecynon          SN99430357    First built in 1811, rebuilt/modified in 1830,  enlarged in 1853 and rebuilt/modified ca.1891 and ca.1901. Sunday School opened 1880 and closed in 1919, still in use in 1998      (10)
  • 1904; CONVERSIONS AT EBENEZER & BRYN SEION CHAPELS, TRECYNON..................  (11)
  • Has records at Glamorgan Record Office
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg
  • "Ebenezer, Trecynon had 564 members in 1907, at the end of the Second World War 365 members, by 1954   330"   (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

Siloh Welsh Ind chapel, Mount Pleasant St, Trecynon

  • Siloh Welsh Ind chapel, Mount Pleasant St, Trecynon     SN99580332    Built  in 1889 and rebuilt/modified in 1902, not still in use in 1998    (10)
  • Siloh Welsh Ind chapel     Rev J Sulgwyn Davies       1910  (9)                            (Same place ??) 

 

Methodist

The introduction to the Calvinistic Methodists given in the source book :

  • "In 1799, one William Jenkins, a shopkeeper in the village asked the Monthly Meeting of the Calvinistic Methodists to depute some ministers of that denomination to visit Aberdare for the purpose of delivering sermons. This was acceded to, three ministers holding an open air meeting. As a result of their efforts, prayer meetings were held at William Jenkins' house; and at the first "society" there were 5 persons present. The little band grew larger in number, the ranks being increased by Christians of other denominations, more especially the Independents. They gradually, however, separated, the Methodists in 1806 building a chapel at Pentwynbach, Trecynon. This was eventually disposed of to the Wesleyan body for £30  and Carmel chapel built in 1829. The next chapel erected was Bethel, Hirwain (sic) in 1833; previous to this, a double cottage had been jointly used by the Methodists, Independents, Baptists and Wesleyans. In 1843, Moriah, Llwydcoed, was erected, being followed by Libanus, Aberaman in 1847. Ebenezer, Cwmbach, was also built near the same time. Bethania in the centre of Aberdare, was built in 1853. Ebenezer, Mountain Ash, was erected in 1857; Zoar, Cwmaman in 1859; Nazareth, Aberdare in 1860; Brynseion, Trecynon in 1862; Bethlehem, Mountain Ash, and Cwmdare chapel a little later. Trinity Chapel, near the Temperance Hall was erected for English Services in 1866. "           From the Aberdare Illustrated Almanack, 1902      [14  Delyth Wilson]

Welsh Wesleyan Chapel

  • Welsh Wesleyan Chapel                    Opened in 1850          Evan Evans. Trustee. Weigher, Aberaman    1851  (13)

Hebron Welsh CM chapel, Jubilee Rd, Aberaman / Godreaman

  • Hebron Welsh CM chapel, Jubilee Rd, Aberaman       500 sittings             Rev Jn Lewis   1910  (9)
  • Hebron chapel, Aberaman   SO0101            Built in 1867 and rebuilt/modified in 1893 ( and 1901?)    (10)
  • "...some of the chapels built around the beginning of the century, like Hebron Welsh CM chapel, Godreaman. closed in 1962."        (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)
  • Hebron, Aberaman had 86 Sunday school members in 1903
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)   

Libanus Welsh CM chapel, Regent St/Lewis St, Aberaman

  • Libanus CM chapel, Regent St, Aberaman                          1895  (8)   and  1910  (9)
  • Libanus Welsh CM chapel, Lewis St, Aberaman   SO01190153    Built  in 1848, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1850 and 1876, disused by 1990   (10)
  • Libanus CM chapel, Aberaman had 152 members in 1900, but also 355 adherents (listeners)
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)  
  • Libanus, Aberaman had 156 Sunday School members in 1870
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)   
  • 1904; REPORTS FROM REVIVAL SERVICES AT.......................LIBANUS CHAPEL, ABERAMAN  (11)
  • Libanus Welsh CM, Aberaman      Erected in 1847    " ... we have been Keeping the Sunday School in  dwelling houses for some months previous to erecting chapel."      William Morgan, Secretary, Aberaman Colliery     1851  (13)

Shiloh (Siloh) English Wesleyan Methodist, Regent St, Aberaman

  • English Wesleyan Methodist, Aberaman                      1895  (8)                and in 1910 Rev Llewellyn Alfred Jones supt - also covering Mill St Trecynon        1910  (9)
  • Siloh Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Regent St, Aberaman    SO01330121   Built in 1847, rebuilt/modified 1896  (10)

Tabernacle Primitive Methodist chapel, Llanddewi St/Commercial Place, Aberaman

  • Tabernacle Primitive Methodist chapel, Commercial Place, Aberaman        (Also at Cwmbach)             1895  (8)
  • See under Bethesda, Monk St in 1910
  • Tabernacle Primitive Methodist chapel, Aberaman   SO0101    Built in 1855 and rebuilt/modified in 1897  (10)
  •  
  • Tabernacle (English), Llanddewi St,  Commerce Place, Aberaman   SO01460114    (10)     (same place ?)

Mason St Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Commercial Place, Aberaman

  • Mason St Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Commercial Place, Aberaman    SO01390129      Built in 1938, still in use in 1999    (10)

Cap Coch Wesleyan Methodist, Abercwmboi

  • Cap Coch chapel, Abercwmboi            SO0201             Built in 1861   (10)
  • Has records at Glamorgan Records Office

Graig Methodist chapel, School St, Abercwmboi

  • Graig Methodist chapel, School St, Abercwmboi       SO02250008    demolished by 1997   (10)

Bethania Welsh CM chapel, Wind St, Aberdare

  • 1831, February 23; Welsh Calvinistic Methodist; a meeting house; Evan Griffiths of the parish of Aberdare, shopkeeper                        (7)                   (right place ?)
  • Bethania Welsh CM chapel, Wind St, Aberdare        700 sittings         Rev William James      1895   (8)  and 1910  (9)
  • Bethania Presbyterian (CM) chapel,  Wind St, Aberdare   SO00220249   Built in 1853/4, rebuilt/modified in 1884-5 New vestry added in 1866. Closed early 1990s     (10)
  • Bethania CM chapel, Aberdare in 1900 had 243 members, plus 500 gwrandawyr (listeners)
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12) 
  • Bethania, Aberdare had 452 Sunday school members in 1870
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)   
  • "Bethania Chapel, Aberdare. This church was formed in 1853 as a branch of Carmel by an energetic band of young men and women. There was scarcely a grey-headed person among them, and no death occurred in the church for 5 years. The first pastor was the late Rev. D. Saunders, D.D. who was chosen in 1856. They all set to work with the enthusiasm of youth, and by the blessing of God, the chapel was overcrowded in a few years and Nazareth chapel was built to receive another church and congregation. In a short time afterwards, another company went out to establish the Trinity English church. In 1863, Dr Saunders left for Liverpool and, in 1870, his successor, the present pastor, Rev. W. James was installed. The General Assembly of the Connection was held twice at this chapel in 1872 and 1885. Before the second meeting of the Assembly, the chapel had been thoroughly renewed and a commodious schoolroom erected. Accommodation: chapel: 700; schoolroom: 300; Services: Sunday: Young Men's Prayer Meeting and children's Bible Class at 10am; Sunday School at 2pm; Preaching Services at 11am and 6pm; Monday evening: Prayer meeting; Tuesday evening: Temperance and Literary Meeting; Wednesday evening: Band of Hope; Thursday evening: Church meeting; Friday evening: Bible class.   [In the 1893 version of the Almanack there is a photograph of the Rev. David Saunders - here is a biography of him .]"                 From the Aberdare Illustrated Almanack, 1902      [14  Delyth Wilson]

Nazareth CM chapel, Trap Rd/Abernant Rd, Aberdare

  • Nazareth CM chapel, Trap Rd, Aberdare              600 sittings    1895  (8)   and  1910  (9)
  • Nazareth CM chapel, Abernant Rd, Aberdare          SO00530272      Built in 1860 and rebuilt/modified in 1905/6. Closed in 1960's.    (10)             (same place ?)

Bethesda Primitive Methodist chapel, Monk St, Aberdare

  • Bethesda Primitive Methodist chapel, Monk St, Aberdare       400 sittings        Rev Benjamin Walton        1895  (8)
  • Bethesda Primitive Methodist chapel, Monk St, Aberdare       400 sittings    Rev Thomas Henry Bryant supt & Rev Jacob W Richardson  (looking after Ameraman, Cwmaman and Cwmbach too)        1910  (9)
  • Aberdare Primitive Methodist Circuit records  at Glamorgan Record Office

St Davids Presbyterian (CM) church, Aberdare

  •  St Davids Presbyterian (CM) church, Aberdare SO00150253   Built in 1875, rebuilt? in 1899, not still in use in 1994          (10)
  • "Presbyterians were unknown in 'the valley' in the iron period but by 1897 they occupied a church called St David's under the ministry of the Rev J Robertson "  ( D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)        (12)

Trinity CM chapel, Weatheral St/Canon St/Foundry Town, Aberdare

  • Trinity CM chapel, Weatheral St, Aberdare            500 sittings           1895  (8)        and Rev Richard Roberts in 1910  (9)
  • Trinity CM chapel, Weatheral St/Canon St/Foundry Town, Aberdare          SO00120264         Built in 1867, rebuilt/modified in 1877 and in 1893,  remodelled post- 1894, enlarged again in 1908/9, modified internally in 1951, still in use in 1998     (10)
  • Trinity Aberdare English CM chapel     Weatharal Street, Aberdare, Morgannwg CF44 7AY - still open in 2006

 

Sion Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Wind St, Aberdare

  • Zion Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Wind St, Aberdare         600 sittings          1895  (8)          and in 1910  Rev William Calvert supt & Rev Joseph Milligan supernumerary  -  also covering Green St      1910  (9)

English Wesleyn Methodist, Green St, Aberdare

  • Wesleyn Methodist, Green St, Aberdare                   500 sittings    Rev John Milligan    1895  (8)
  • See Wind St above in 1910   (9)
  • Green St English Wesleyan Methodist chapel,           SO00030262   Built in 1859, still in use in 1997    (10)
  • English Wesleyan Methodist               Erected in 1841      George Walls, Chapel Steward    1851  (13)
  •  
  • See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re Green St English Wesleyan Chapel, Aberdare

 

Soar Welsh CM chapel, Fforchaman Rd, Cwmaman

  •  Soar Welsh CM chapel, Forchaman Rd, Cwmaman                    Rev William D Morris   1895  (8)    and 500 sittings  1910  (9)
  • Soar CM chapel, Fforchaman Rd, Cwmaman       ST00449959     Built in 1858 and rebuilt in 1891, not still in use pre 1999    (10)
  • Soar CM chapel, Cwmaman in 1900 had 264 members, plus 830 adherents (listeners)
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)  
  • Soar, Cwmaman had 113 Sunday School members in 1870
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)   

Bethel Primitive Methodist, Cwmneol St, Cwmaman

  • 1824, November 4; Protestant (endorsed: Methodist); a meeting house or chapel called Bethel; Benjamin Evans of the parish of St. Fagans, Preacher of the Gospel                    (7)
  • Primitive Methodist chapel, Cwmaman                          1895  (8)
  • See under Bethesda, Monk St    1910
  • Bethel Primitive Methodist chapel, Cwmneol St, Cwmaman         ST00449965           Built in 1858, not still in use pre 1998 (10)

Primitive Methodist, Cwmbach

See under Tabernacle, Aberaman  1895,   and Bethesda, Monk St    1910

Zoar Methodist chapel, Cwm-bach

Ebenezer CM chapel, Sion Terrace/Tirfounder Rd, Cwmbach

  • Ebenezer CM chapel, Sion Terrace, Cwmbach                       Rev Henry Jones     1895  (8)       and Rev Richard Roberts             1910  (9)
  • 1812, April 13; Presbyterian; a meeting house called Ebenezer; Rev. Methusalem Jones, Lewis Laurance, deacon, William Williams and Evan Treharn, elders                    (7)
  • Ebenezer CM chapel, Tirfounder Rd, Cwmbach       SO02390149     Built in 1851 and rebuilt/modified in 1864 and 1908, still in use in 1994   (10)
  • Ebenezer CM chapel, Cwmbach in 1900 had 155 members, plus 410 gwrandawyr (listeners)
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)  
  • Ebenezer, Cwmbach had 203 Sunday School members in 1870
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)   
  • "It was in 1837 that a pit was sunk and Opened on the Abernanty-Groes estate by Thomas Wayne & Company. When the Calvinistic Methodists decided to start a Sunday School cause at Cwmbach, it began in the house of Dafydd Sims, chief overseer in the Hen-Lety-Siencyn pit. His home became too small for the Sunday School and it was decided to build a chapel; this was done in 1851."    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12) 

Gobarth/Gobaith CM chapel, Cwmdare

  • Gobarth/Gobaith CM chapel, Cwmdare                      1895  (8)                and 500 sittings 1910  (9)
  •  
  • Cwmdare Presbyterian Church had 305 members in 1931, by 1966 only 71
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)  
  • Gobaith, Cwmdar had 69 Sunday School members in 1870
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)   

Bethel Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Wind St, Hirwaun

  • There is a book by Roderick, Dilwyn. Hanes Eglwys Bethel (M.C.) Hirwaun, 1923-1973. [Hirwaun] : [Eglwys Bethel], [1975].p20    (3)
  • Bethel Welsh CM chapel, Wind St, Hirwaun         SN95990555     Built in 1824 and rebuilt/modified ca.1840. Rebuilt/enlarged 1857, rebuilt/modified again in 1867 with further alterations/additions in 1871, 1893 and 1903. Demolished in the 1960s and new chapel built in 1975, later abandoned and the congregation merged in 1996 with Nebo. Demolished  pre  2002            (10)
  • Bethel CM chapel, Hirwaun had 500 members in 1931, only 143 by 1965
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)
  • Bethel, Hirwaun had 410 Sunday School members in 1870
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)   
  • Bethel CM, Hirwaun               Erected in 1823                         Morgan Davies. Elder. Grocer             1851  (13)
  • Bethel Nebo Welsh CM chapel   High Street, Hirwaun, Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taf CF44 1AA - still open in 2006

Presbyterian, near Hirwaun Common

  • 1813, March 27; Presbyterian; a building situated near Hirwaun Common; Richard Rees and Samuel Rees, gentlemen, of Wyrfa, parish of Aberdare, Thomas Evans, Minister, Thomas Rees, David Llewelyn, David Prichard   (7)
  • Between 1819 and 1813, the Welsh Independents had three meeting houses licensed, namely, the New Chapel in 1810, Ebenezer in 1811 and a ' building situate near Hirwaun Common in 1813 ' " ( Morgannwg 1874 quoted in D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)       [right place / wrong denomination ?]

Soar Wesleyan Methodist (Blaen-gwawr), Station Rd, Hirwaun

  • Soar Wesleyan Methodist chapel (Cofeb Blaen-gwawr), Station Rd, Hirwaun         SN95810567      Built in 1824, enlarged in 1838 and rebuilt/modified in 1887 (1896). Closed in 1977, demolished in 1981   (10)
  • Capel Soar, Hirwaun: trust papers, 1886-1966                 Held at West Glamorgan Archive Service
  • Soar Wesleyan, Hirwain               Erected before 1825           Lewis Davies, Chapel Steward. Hirwain           1851  (13)

Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Penyard Rd, Hirwaun

  • Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Penyard Rd, Hirwaun             SN95910576        "Date of Chapel 1876. Built in the simple-round headed style, gable entry type. Single storey chapel, with pulpit to rear of chapel. Small hall/Sunday school room to rear of chapel with separate side entrance and internal entrance.
    Closed 1990.... "  (10)  

Jerusalem Welsh CM chapel, Chapel Rd, Penderyn (near Hirwaun)

  • Jerusalem Welsh CM chapel, Chapel Rd, Penderyn (near Hirwaun)        SN94610894      Built in 1857/8; modified in 1908; by late 1980s closed and in 1986 for sale.                    (10)
  • Jerusalem CM chapel, Penderyn at one time had 26 members, plus 48 adherents (listeners)
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)  

Moriah CM chapel, Bryn Moriah, Llwydcoed

  • Moriah CM chapel, Llwydcoed                           1895  (8)                   and 1910  (9)
  • Moriah Welsh CM chapel, Bryn Moriah, Llwydcoed    SN99440468    Built in 1843 and rebuilt/modified in 1852 and 1891, disused by 1984       (10)
  • Moriah CM chapel, Llwydcoed had at one time 104 members, plus 235 adherents (listeners)
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)  
  • Moriah, Llwydcoed had 260 Sunday School members in 1879
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)   
  • Moriah CM, Llwydcoed           Erected in 1839          Edward Pugh (His mark), Deacon, Farmer, Llwydcoed   1851  (13)

English Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Mill St/Llewellyn St, Trecynon

  • English Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Mill St, Trecynon                 1895  (8)
  • See Aberaman in 1910   (9)
  • Trecynon English Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Llewellyn St, Trecynon    SN99290363    Built in 1889, still in use in 1994      (10)
  • Trecynon English Wesleyan  records at Glamorgan Record Office

Bryn Sion Welsh CM chapel, Mill St, Aberdare (Trecynon)

  • Bryn Sion Welsh CM chapel, Mill St, Aberdare                       500 sittings    1895  (8)             and  1910  (9)
  • Banner of Brynseion CM, Trecynon  on People's Collection Wales site   (use on -site search box)
  • Seion CM chapel, Trecynon in 1900 had 209 members, plus 540 gwrandawyr (listeners)
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12) 
  • Bryn Seion, Trecynon had 278 Sunday School members in 1870
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)   

  Carmel Welsh CM chapel, Hirwain Rd, Trecynon

  • Carmel CM chapel, Hirwain Rd, Aberdare          600 sittings               Rev D M Jones   1895  (8)
  • Carmel CM chapel, Hirwain Rd, Aberdare          750 sittings               Rev Henry Thos Stephans  1910  (9)
  • Carmel CM chapel, Hirwaun Rd, Trecynon        SN99700321            Built in 1806, rebuilt/modified in 1829, 1906 and vestry of 1873 rebuilt in 1933, demolished pre 1994               (10)
  • Carmel CM chapel, Trecynon in 1900 had 125 members, plus 460 adherents (listeners)
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)  
  • Carmel, Trecynon had 260 Sunday School members in 1870
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12) 
  • Carmel Welsh CM             Erected in 1829               Evan Griffith. Deacon. Grocer, Hirwain      1851  (13)
  • "Carmel Chapel, Trecynon. This cause originated at Pentwynbach in the year 1799. It was the 1st Calvinistic Methodist chapel in Aberdare, and its members used to walk from Cefn Pennar, Aberaman, Cwmbach and other distant places to this little chapel. The members having been greatly augmented, it was found necessary to build a new chapel in the year 1829 on its present site. This again was rebuilt and opened in 1896 and it is now one of the most handsome chapels in Glamorganshire. Its internal construction and workmanship reflect the greatest credit upon the builders viz., Messrs. J. Morgan and Son. Its cost including the organ was £2,500. Several other causes have from time to time gone out of Carmel, so that really it stands as a mother church - Bethania, Brynseion, Cwmdare, Llwydcoed, and other chapels in the valley. Many prominent children have been brought up in this church, some of whom have held and now hold the most important offices in the country. Its accommodation is 750 and its average congregation is from 400 to 500."              From the Aberdare Illustrated Almanack, 1902      [14  Delyth Wilson]

 

Other (inc un-identified)

St Joseph's Catholic Church, Monk St, Aberdare

  • Catholic Church, Monk St, Aberdare   300 sittings    Rev James O'Reilly and Rev Michael O'Donoghue, priests      1895  (8)      and Rev James O'Reilly   in 1910  (9)
  • "There were no places of worship for the Catholics in 1835 but three churches had grown up by 1897" ( D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)
  • At St Joseph's Catholic Church, Aberdare in 1905 were 429 members over age 15, and 310 under 15
    (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)  

St Dyfrig's Church has its own web site which includes information about St Joseph's registers (SDRA-01)

Catholic Church, Hirwaun

  • The Catholic Church, Hirwaun in 1962/3 had 232 Easter Communicants and 320 Mass attendances out of a Catholic population of 594.  (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)  

Quakers, Aberdare

  •  Aberdare Quakers chapel, Aberdare    SO0001       (10)
Latter Day Saints, Aberdare
  • 1848, October 4; Latter Day Saints; a house called Welsh Harp Public House, residence of Phillip Rees, situated in Commercial Street; William Howells of Aberdare    (7)
  • "Mormon missionaries began to arrive in Wales from the USA in the early 1840s ........ two meeting places were established in Aberdare, one in 1848 and the other two years later"  ( D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)
  • Latter Day Saints              " This is a spacious room adjoining another building but not used exclusively as a place of worship............"             William Sims. Elder     1851  (13)
Latter Day Saints, Hirwaun
  • 1850, January 15; Latter Day Saints; a room adjoining the Patriot Public House; Daniel EVANS from the parish of Abedare     (7)

Tabernacle, Latter Day Saints, Penderin

  • Tabernacle Latter Day Saints, Penderin          "Erected in 1838, building not used exclusively as a place of worship" Meetings alternate between Welsh and English.       Morgan Evans. George Rogers, English. John Davis, Welsh. Hirwaun           1851  (13)

Abernant-y-groes Welsh Unitarian, Bridge Rd / Chapel Row, Cwmbach

  • Glamorgan FHS - the publications lists etc     MIs   (5)
    The MIs fiche has the following note;
    "The first burial in this graveyard was that of Jane Jenkins in 1797.  The burial ground was closed for new  graves by an order in council dated 17 April 1858, by Sir George Grey, Lord President of the Council...................The Rev John JONES was reminded of the penalties of disobeying these orders in a letter dated February 1910.  The last burial was that of Jane GETHIN in 1909 in an existing family plot."  (14 PT)
  • Unitarian Welsh chapel, Bridge Rd, Abernant-y-groes, Cwmbach           Rev Fisher Jones     (8)         and in 1910 with no minister mentioned   200 sittings   (9)
  • Abernant-y-groes uchaf Unitarian chapel (Apostolic church), Chapel Row, Cwmbach     SO02480187    Built pre-1905, demolished pre 1994        (10)
  • Has records at Glamorgan Record Office

Unitarian chapel, Highland Place, Monk St/Unity St, Gadlys, Aberdare

  • Unitarian chapel, Highland Place, Monk St, Aberdare           300 sittings                 Rev Thomas Jenkin  1895  (8)  and  Rev Melchisedec Evans  350 sittings   1910  (9)
  • Highland Place Unitarian chapel, Monk St/ Unity St, Gadlys, Aberdare    SN99960227   Built in 1860, still in use in 1997                   (10)

Hen-Dy-Cwrdd Unitarian, Trecynon
Old Meeting House (Hen-dy-cwrdd) Welsh Unitarian, Alma St, Trecynon

  • Glamorgan FHS - the publications lists etc     PRs/MIs  (5)
  • Old Meeting House (Unitarian), Alma St, Trecynon           300 sittings          Rev Rees Jenkin Jones          1895  (8) and 1910  (9)
  • Hen Dy Cwrdd (Old Meeting House) Unitarian chapel, Alma St, Trecynon   SN99530351   Founded & built in 1751, rebuilt/modified in 1862, not in use by 1997      (10)
  • Has records at Glamorgan Record Office where it is described as Presbyterian/Calvinistic Methodist as well as Unitarian
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg
  •  "When Howel Harris visited the village of Aberdare in 1759, there were only two places of worship in the locality - the parish church and the Unitarian Church of Hen-dy-cwrdd, Trecynon which had been established 8 years earlier"                 (D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)
  • Book;
    Dafis, D. J. (ed.). Crefydd a gweriniaeth yn hanes yr Hen Dy Cwrdd, Aberdār, 1751-1951 [Religion and democracy in the history of Hen Dy Cwrdd, Aberdare]. Llandysul, 1951.

Elim Pentecostal chapel, Monk St, Foundry Town, Aberdare

  • Elim Pentecostal chapel, Monk St, Foundry Town, Aberdare    SO00090245   Still in use in 1997    (10)

Protestant house called Capel-drindod

  • 1804, October 15; Protestant; a house called Capel-drindod; Griffith Hughes, Minister, James Jacob, Timothy Davies, Morgan Rees   (7)

Shiloh chapel, Aberaman

  • Shiloh chapel, Aberaman   SO0101       Denomination not given           Chapel built in 1899   (10)

Christadelphian chapel, Aberaman  

  •  Christadelphian chapel, Aberaman                 SO0101                  Built 1902   (10)

Pentecostal church, 281 Cardiff Rd, Aberaman

  • Pentecostal church, 281 Cardiff Rd, Aberaman        SO01300137    Still in use in 1997   (10)

Forge View, Cwmaman

  •  Forge View, Cwmaman              ST0099           Denomination not given    (10)

Mission Room Hirwaun

  •  Mission Room Hirwaun       SN95650576           (10)

Bethesda Apostolic, Hirwaun Rd, Penywaun

  • Bethesda Apostolic, Hirwaun Rd, Penywaun      SN96840474      (10)

Bethel Pentecostal chapel, Heol Bryn Gwyn, Penywaun

  • Bethel Pentecostal chapel, Heol Bryn Gwyn, Penywaun      SN97470489     (10)

Babell Apostolic, Hirwaun Rd, Trecynon

  •  Babell Apostolic, Hirwaun Rd, Trecynon          SN99420346    (10)

Cemetery chapel, Trecynon

  •  Cemetery chapel, Trecynon                 SN98890389     (10)

Salem, Chapel St, Gadlys

Ebenezer, Robertstown

Jewish faith

  • "Jews also wandered into valley and met regularly for worship every Saturday in Dean St, Aberdare"  ( D Ben Rees.   Chapels in the Valley    Ffynnon Press, 1975)      (12)        

 

Supplementary material

Return to top

 

Carmel Baptist chapel, Monk St, Aberdare

Contributed by John Eaton and based on a reading of Chapels of the Cynon Valley by Alan Vernon Jones. Cynon Valley History Society 2004

ADDRESS / LOCALITY: DATE BUILT: CURRENT USE:

BRIEF HISTORY:

In 1799 both the Welsh Independents (Ebenezer and Carmel) started their 'cause' together in the same place in a small cottage.

Formerly a branch and sister chapel of Calvaria W.B., seating for 380.

Other meetings were held from house to house in 1850, with Rev. Dr. Thomas Price assisting.

The following year meetings were held in a large room belonging to the Horse & Groom Inn, (then located at 11 High Street, Aberdare - built in 1835, closed in 1871).

The later meetings were held at the Black Lion Hotel (opened 1811).

Also referred to as 'Particular Baptist' and previously called 'Penpound' of the Welsh Baptists (opened 1812), and later removed into Calvaria W.B.

Carmel was consequently left for the English Baptists.

The Religious Census of 1851 states that Carmel was founded in 1812,  enlarged in 1832 and rebuilt in 1851 at a cost of £1,200. These details were supplied to the census returns by Rev. Dr. Thomas Price of Rose Cottage, Aberdare.

Formerly a graveyard was attached to the side of the chapel.

Foundation Memorial Stone was laid in 1863 by Mrs. Willdnson of Cwmpennar.

The first minister was Rev. James Cooper, 1852 - 1854, followed by Rev. James Owen; Rev. T.A. Price; Rev. D. Rees Jenkins; Rev. Thomas Jones, 1873- 1905, who baptised 1200 people during his 32 years ministry at this chapel.

Professor Tom Jones was organist and conductor for 50 years, 1891 - 1941.

The chapel had 101 members in 1873; 436 in 1906; 298 in 1925; 217 in 1932 and 205 in 1947.

Sunday School membership between 1925 and 1947 varied from 109 to 284.

In 1917 controversies and differences arose over a matter related to the Trust Deeds; followers left Carmel and formed Christchurch E.B.  in July 1918.

The chapel was located almost exactly opposite Calvaria , and opposite and facing Griffith Street.

A copy of the Centenary History 1852-1952, is in Aberdare Central Library.

The 1840 Sunday School banner is in Cynon Valley Museum, Aberdare


Old Aberdare

Return to top

Based on a posting to the Glamorgan mailing list in 2001 (Deric John) ;

 

In Old Aberdare Vol 1, an article titled  ' Aberdare in 1837' lists the following places of worship:-

The Established Church-

Baptists-

Calvinistic Methodists-

Congregationalists-

Unitarians-

Wesleyans--

Burial places in the Aberdare area

The municipal cemetery opened c1870, before that date burials would have taken place in the following places - from Old Aberdare Vol. 1 :-


The Rev D. Saunders, DD      (linked from Bethania CM chapel, Aberdare)

Return to top


Return to top

[Last Updated : 9 Dec 2011  - Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.