Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Gadlys in the Parish of Aberdare
References to Gadlys at
For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives
|Non Conformist Registers Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
||OS Map Ref
Gadlys Ironworks - on the Rhondda Cynon Taf Libraries Heritage Trail site "The Gadlys Ironworks were opened in 1827 by a partnership of George Rowland Morgan, Edward Morgan Williams and Matthew Wayne.............................."
"In 1827, Mathew Wayne, who had been the furnace manager at Cyfarthfa set up an iron works at Gadlys, this was a small works with one furnace but in less than a year he was sending down the canal to Cardiff 450 tons of iron. " [Based on Chapels in the Valley by D Ben Rees, 1975]
Gadlys Colliery - on the Rhondda Cynon Taf Libraries Heritage Trailsite "The origin of this pit lies in Gadlys Ironworks and the need for coal and ironstone to keep the works in production. The pit also known as Victoria Pit ............................." [Last Updated : 14 Dec 2006 - Gareth Hicks]