"BAGLAN, in the Cwmwd of Rhwng Nedd ac Afan, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Neath), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Curacy, not in charge, to the Vicarage of Aber Afan: Patron, Lord Vernon: Church dedicated to St. Baglan. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 251. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £121..19..2 1/2. It is 4 m. S.b.E. from Neath. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes, and Augmentation, was £52. This Parish contains about 3000 acres of land; of which, 2200 acres are inclosed and cultivated, and the remainder is Common. The Right Honourable Lord Vernon is the principal Proprietor. Near the Church is a Well, which is famous for curing ricketty Children; but, according to the vulgar opinion, only on the first three Thursdays in May."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
The church is dedicated to St. Catherine, is in the Benefice of Baglan, and Diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be found at grid reference SS753929.
Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Baglan Ecclesiastical Parish records " ............. The church of St. Catharine was erected in 1882 on the site of the old church." "Ecclesiastical Parish records including registers of baptisms, 1769-1874; marriages, 1769-1923; burials, 1769-1904; banns, 1824-1930; services, 1907-1930; records relating to churchwardens, 1925-c1930; miscellaneous and civil records, 1732-1935"
Llewellyn of Baglan and Court Colman papers 1713-1972 "The Llewelyn family descended from Llewelyn Evan (d 1757), who married Eleanor, daughter of Evan Davies, of Pentre, Ystradyfodwg, Glamorgan. His son, Hopkin Llewelyn (1727-1811), of Brombil, Margam, and Pentre, became the estate agent of the Margam estate in 1765. Hopkin's eldest son, Griffith, married Catherine Jones, heiress of Baglan Hall.........................."
Baglan Hall Estate, papers 1799-1944 "The Baglan Hall Estate consisted mainly of properties in Baglan and Aberavon parishes, and was held during the middle part of the 19th century by the Llewellyn family. ............................."
Baglan Higher Parish Council, Baglan Higher Community Council and Pelenna Community Council Records 1784-1992 " .............including Baglan tithe plan and apportionment, 1846;.................... records relating to the Local Boundary Commission for Wales, 1979-1981; ................; invoices and receipts concerning the South Wales Electricity Board, 1956-1957; records relating to playing fields, 1958-1990; records relating to Pontrhydyfen Community Centre, 1961-1986; records relating to Neath Borough Council, 1961."
Baglan School Records "Records of Baglan School, 1865-1949, including log books, 1865-1949; manager's minutes, 1904-1930"
Glamorganshire Reformatory School Records 1891-1984 "Glamorganshire Reformatory School was established at Hawdref Ganol, Baglan, near Neath, in March 1858. In 1875 it was moved to Ty Segur, Neath,..................."