"BETTWS, in the Cwmwd of Tir yr Hwndrwd, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Newcastle), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Curacy, not in charge, with the Vicarage of Newcastle, of the certified value of £37: Patron, The Crown; but it generally goes by the recommendation of the Member of the County: Church dedicated to St. David. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, (consisting of the Higher and Lower Hamlets) was 306. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £180..19..10, at 4s. in the Pound. It is 5 m. N. from Bridgend. This Parish contains 1000 Acres of inclosed Land. It is endowed with the great Tythes." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
The parish church is dedicated to St. David, is in the Benefice of St. Brides Minor with Bettws, and diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be found at grid reference SS899867.
Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Bettws Ecclesiastical Parish records "Bettws Ecclesiastical Parish records including registers of baptisms, 1722-1939; marriages, 1722-1963; burials, 1723-1950; banns, 1823-1908; services, 1878-1920; terriers, 1771-1906; civil and miscellaneous records, 1846-1926; churchwardens records, 1832-1940; parochial church council and easter vestry, 1921-1941; church organ isations, 1934-1937; charities, 1887-1939"
Ogmore and Garw Urban District Council records 1903-1975 "Ogmore and Garw Urban District Council (Glamorgan) was formed in 1894........It took over the functions of Ogmore and Garw Local Board of Health. The Council's area of responsibility was the parishes of Bettws, Llandyfodwg and Llangeinor, ................................."